Forum Discussion

alibaba82
Super Contributor
17 years ago

export testcase/test description to csv/excel file

Would it possible to add an option on the project level to export testcases, testsuite, and their descriptions into a csv file. each one in a seperate column ofcourse.

I think this will be useful for uploading testcase to various test tracking tools like Quality Center and MS TFS which typically have add-ins to import test cases.

Thanks

Ali

4 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi!

thanks.. is there some kind of common-format for this kind of data-import/export?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    i think soapUI should provide some flexibility on how the export should be done. for instance to export testcases from excel to quality center the testcase must be of the format /. This will probably be differ based on who is using it.

I guess a good way to export should be the following.
    when a user clicks export soapUI show allow the user to specify the column in the excel file and what should be written there.

e.g.

Col A -> ${testsuitename}\${testcasename} e.g. "testsuite1\testcase1"
    ColB -> ${test description} e.g. "this is a sample testcase"
    ColC->some other custom string like -> 'manual_test' or 'QTP_Test'. This is needed in QTP to identify a test type.

Let me know what you think.
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

thanks.. That sounds good I think.. how about teststeps and statuses?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    teststeps could be helpful also. I believe TFS as well as Quality Center gives you the options of 'design steps' which would most closely resemble a teststep in soapui. I guess you can put 'teststeps' as comma dilimitted values in some column. e.g. ColD -> step1,step2,step3...

exporting status is a good suggestion. After a testrun i can export everything along with status to a excel file and then use do some sort of automation to upload the excel file contents to quality center or TFS.

Once again user should have the ability to specify as many columns as possible.

We just moved to MS TFS and I am still trying to figure out how it works. As the workflow and TFS API becomes clearer I will be better able to understand what kind of extra feature I will need from soapUI.

Thanks

Ali