Forum Discussion

dobermai
New Contributor
13 years ago

LoadUI for large load Tests

I would like to utilize LoadUI for a big Load Test. But I am not completely sure if LoadUI can do this. But let me explain:

We want to test a SOAP webservice which uses WSSE Username token authentification. We want to test it with 5000 concurrent users. My idea is, that I create (via a script) 5000 Testcases for the Webservice with SOAP UI with different credentials. Then I would like to import them to LoadUI and distribute it via the Amazon EC2 cloud service.

But I fear, that LoadUI cannot handle 5000 Testrunners at the same time. Are there any experiences with such a big setup? Or am I on the wrong way for achieving my Load Test with WSSE?

Thanks,

Dominik

7 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi!

First of all, in my answer I assume that you need to keep session/cookies for this test (otherwise this could be done in a much easier way).

I think you're using the wrong approach here. 5000 different soapUI TestCases would likely use way to much memory. If I understand you correctly, the only difference between the TestCases would be the authentication used? If so, you could achieve the same thing with a single TestCase. All you have to do is parameterize the username and password.

The problem then becomes controlling which username and password is used. If you're a soapUI Pro user you simply use a DataSource, which you configure with all the credentials, and set to be shared between threads. As long as there are at least as many sets of credentials as there are concurrent requests, you should never have the same username used by different threads a the same time.

The only thing left now is agent distribution. To give you the best answer regarding that I need to know what type of DataSource you are using (CSV, Excel, Database, etc.)?

Regards!

/Henrik
    eviware.com
    dobermai
    New Contributor
    Hi!

First, thanks for the awesome quick answer!

I do not need to keep session/cookies for the test. I just want to record the statistics.

There are as much credentials available as concurrent requests. I will get them in Excel or CSV (I did not get the credentials yet). For the agent distribution my idea was to use the Amazon EC2 service. Regarding to the Website I just need one agent for my use case. Is this right?

Thanks for the tip with the parameterized tests. I will give it a try. We do not have a SOAP UI Pro license yet, but if we can achieve this with the pro edition we will purchase it!

What would be the easier way you mentioned?

Thanks again!
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Thanks for the clarifications.

How many agents you need depends entirely on the load that you want create and the agents performance. You might not even need one agent.

Would it be possible for me to see your soapUI testcase(s) to suggest a solution (screenshot(s) posted here or project file e-mailed to support@eviware.com with a link to this topic)?

/Henrik
    eviware.com
    SmartBear_Suppo
    I have now had a look at your soapUI TestCase. The TestCase is fetching username and password from a DataSource and then doing a single SOAP Request plus two basic assertions.

The best way is probably to do as we've discussed: Run the TestCase via a soapUI Runner and distribute this to agents if needed. Note that the actual data sources (the CSV or XLS files) won't be distributed automatically, so you have to put them in the same folder on all agents. Also note that the current Amazon AMI seem to have disappeared from the list of public Amazon AMIs. As we're focusing all our efforts on loadUI 1.5 right now, we won't reconstruct an AMI for loadUI 1.0.1 but instead encourage you to wait for loadUI 1.5 which will have a fresh AMI. LoadUI 1.5 is scheduled for mid-May (Beta) and June (Final/Stable).

With that being said, I'm not so sure that using Amazon agents is what you really need for this scenario. Two things to consider:

• 5000 concurrent requests is extreme for regular requests. The only web service coming close to this kind of load is Google's search engine.

• A fairly new computer running loadUI can handle 5000 concurrent requests. The most common reason for agent distribution is network limitations, rather than CPU performance. I would try reaching the desired load (alternatively the load that makes the web server failing to deliver) first by just using loadUI in Local Mode, then distributed to a couple of inhouse agents. Just in case your web application breaks way before your outbound network connection... Then I would go for Amazon agents, if needed.

Regards!

/Henrik
    eviware.com
    dobermai
    New Contributor
    Hi Henrik,

thanks so much for your response and your time to look at my issue. I had the fear, that 5000 request is very much. But let's see how this will scale

Also thanks for the information, that we do not need the cloud solution necessarily.

Did I mention that your support is awesome?

Dominik
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Thanks for the kind words

Just wanted to give an update: The Amazon AMI for loadUI 1.5 is now published (search for loadUI in the Community AMI's from the Amazon EC2 web interface).

/Henrik
    eviware
    dobermai
    New Contributor
    Thanks for the information!

This is great news, because our Load Test was postponed and it is good to know, that I can utilize LoadUI again