cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Video] Interview with the Community Leader - Yury Vakhatov

Community Manager

2666x208.png

Hi All,

A new exciting interview with one of our awesome SmartBear Community Leaders is here!

Yury Vakhatov, widely known as @baxatob here, gave exclusive advice for new TestComplete users, listed top 5 TestComplete features for learning, described major components which an effective testing framework should have, and much more.

Watch the interview, ask more questions, and give us Kudos Smiley Happy

Short links:

00:47 Yury's background

02:11 Top TestComplete features each new user should learn first

05:37 Major components an effective testing framework should have

07:37 First post in the SmartBear Community

09:24 "I believe in professional solidarity"

11:05 "Everyone who wants to be a professional must be part of his professional community"

Transcript

[Tanya]
Hello SmartBear Community! Today, we are talking with Yury Vakhatov, our SmartBear Community leader. Yury has incredible expertise in working with TestComplete, and, today, he will share the secret of his success with us. Hello Yury, how are you?

[Yury]
Hello Tanya, hello SmartBears! I'm fine. Greetings from Latvia. Today, it's a shiny sunny day.

[Tanya]
Could you please start with kind of a short introduction of yourself for the SmartBear Community? Where are you from, where do you live, what do you do in your spare time?

[Yury]
I'm 41 years old, I live in Riga, it's a capital of Latvia - a small country on the Baltic seaside somewhere near Sweden, from the East of Russia, from the South of Sweden. I have graduated from Riga Aviation University where I was learning Economics and Computer Sciences. I have a big family, it consists of my wife and five children - two daughters and three sons. About my working experience: during the last years, I was working as a technical writer, software tester, test automation engineer, Quality Assurance manager. Also, I have some developer background in the field of ETL solutions. Oh, very rich background!

[Tanya]
And, now, you demonstrate incredible knowledge of TestComplete in the SmartBear Community, and I'm sure that you can give us, and you can share with us the, say, top 5 TestComplete features, which each new user should learn first in order to continue learning TestComplete.

[Yury]
Top 5?

[Tanya]
Like, kind of top 5, like major features which will help to learn the product.

[Yury]
First one - the great feature of TestComplete - and it's not a joke - is its incredible documentation. And, each new user should make a bookmark in the browser - TestComplete Documentation. And, this is the best point for the start and for deep learning of everything connected with TestComplete. It's a really good documented tool. "Respect!" to your team.

[Tanya]
Great to hear this from a technical writer!

[Yury]
And, the second one, I think, it's Name Mapping - name mapping opportunities, name mapping repository, and aliases. It's also good implemented, have a good architecture, and I like how it works. Next one, next one, next one. Next one is checkpoints, and especially object checkpoints. I love this feature very much, and I'm very-very-very sad that you're going to stop support of this feature because it is very useful. It was very useful in my projects, and I hope you will continue this feature in future releases. It was the third. Next one, so, let it be a wide range of supported languages: I was happy when you started support the Python language because I am a Python coder, and this is my favorite language to the moment. So, this is a very-very modern feature, and also good implemented. And, the last one, the last one. The last one: it's, I think, it's a new cloud tool, cloud technology, which you start using - cross-browser testing. It's also useful, and very useful for engineers who make cross-browser testing, because, usually, you don't haveall versions of operation systems of different browsers. And machines, they're all different, they, if you install on one machine, they can conflict between each other. So, this is also a great feature.

[Tanya]
Okay, great, thanks for sharing these great features with us. And, so, nowadays, functional software testing is very important. And, for this, companies set up a lot of different testing frameworks and procedures. Can you describe which major components a good testing framework should have, or can you describe the one which you use?

[Yury]
First of all, a good framework should strongly divide implementation of the application - of pages or of screens, of user interfaces. It should be divided from the mapping of elements of this application, from the functionality. And, it's what we call a page-object model, a page-object approach in testing, and it works for all applications - for mobile, for web, for desktop, everywhere. And then, when you understand it, you should have different models - name mapping model, help methods, help functions for your testing frameworks, some third-party libraries, for example, to send emails, to work with databases, and so on. This is the main things I think.

[Tanya]
Okay, great, that was very helpful, thanks a lot! And, several words about the SmartBear Community: so, you joined the SmartBear Community only three years ago, and all this time you contributed a lot of valuable information to the TestComplete Community, especially. And, last quarter, you earned the Community Leader status one more time. So, my congratulations! But, obviously, you didn't just come to the Community and earned the leader status right away easily, right? So, tell us your story - how did you come to the Community? If you remember your first post - what was it about?

[Yury]
Before I have posted my first post, I was in the read-only mode for years. When I was working in one software company as a Quality Assurance engineer, I didn't perform automation, I was just a manual tester and write test scenarios. But, I knew that this company was using TestComplete for their test automation, and I have never used this tool before, and never heard about it. Well no, I heard about it, but never used it. And, the first thing I did - I was suddenly opening Google and typing TestComplete, and the first link I got was the link to the Community. So, I was a reader, yes. And, at one moment, I've started to use TestComplete by myself, I was a Name Mapping engineer in one company. There, I write automation by myself. From time to time, I asked Community about things that seem too complex to me, and one day, I found a question to which I knew the answer, and, because I've faced the same problem previously and successfully solved it, so, I became a contributor.

[Tanya]
Okay, so easily! Just read for years, and after that you will know what to write and how to help.

[Yury]
This was my plan.

[Tanya]
Okay, and now, what motivates you to be so active in the Community? Do you like helping people, or do you like getting Kudos?

[Yury]
First of all, I think that people should help each other. It's a kind of a big philosophic question. I believe in professional solidarity and in continuity of experience. If somebody has a question, and I know the answer, I should provide it. It's a very simple approach. I believe, it is my duty, because all information I know at the moment about everything - I received it from other people: from my parents, teachers, mentors, colleagues, from the SmartBear Community, of course, even from my kids! So, I should return this to society. Kudos and gift cards, of course, are also very pretty things, but I try to consider them like a compass, which just shows me the correctness of my professional way.

[Tanya]
We are very happy that you are with us and that you continue your great contribution to the SmartBear Community! That was very interesting to learn more about you. Do you have anything to add to the SmartBear Community, to the world?

[Yury]
Just want to say you always should be aware and open to new ideas, try them and critically analyze, and every who wants to be a professional must be a part of his professional community because it helps us from the one hand to be open for new knowledge, and, from the other hand, to share our experience with others.

[Tanya]
Okay, great, that was very interesting, and thanks for the interview, and thanks for sharing your advice to the SmartBear Community!

[Yury]
Thank you, and good luck to everybody!

[Tanya]
Okay, thanks, bye!

[Yury]
Bye Tanya!

1 Comment
Community Hero

"Everyone who wants to be a professional must be part of his professional community" 

This is impressive, I realized this quote is absolutely true after I joined this community as I learned a lot Smiley Happy