API Testing vs UI Testing Results - Big Applause to Winners

Hey everyone!

Our API Testing vs. UI Testing competition has finished. Thanks to everyone who participated in the event. I hope you enjoyed the conversations and the time spent with us last week Smiley Happy

Today, I'm happy to announce the winning team and the winners πŸ†. In a heavy battle, with minimal advantage, and only thanks to implementing a bonus task, the API Team wins with the following score: 

FinalScore.png

Congratulations to the API Team! You demonstrated great willingness to win! πŸ™Œ

I'm happy to reward each participant from the API Team Smiley Happy and provide you with gift cards πŸ’²:

1. 10$ to @JoostDG@nmrao@shankar_r@thoshima@mkajale2@Madhit@karthick7@SuperSingh@Shivani1@Marramreddy for contribution to the API Team's success
  2. 15$ to @HimanshuTayal for active contribution and doing the bonus task
  3. $20 to @avidCoder for amazing contribution during 5 days of the event.

Also, I want to thank all of the participants from the UI Team. From SmartBear, we are happy to reward the most active contributors with gift cards πŸ’²:

1. $10 to @tristaanogre@shankar_r@Vallalarasu_P for contributing for more than 2 days
  2. $20 to @Marsha_R for great contribution during all 5 days of the event!

All winners will be awarded with a special community badge!  APIvsUI-Winner-badge.png

Join me in congratulating all the winners. A big round of applause to all the participants! Yaaaaah πŸ‘

Read all conversations of the event here

API Testings vs. UI Testing Key Moments:

Importance of API Testing and UI Testing

During the event, you mentioned that good test automation requires both types of testing - API and UI! Most of the participants agreed that "In API testing we have to check the major thing which can be called as white-box testing" and "UI testing, either manual or automated, is testing the presentation layers to make sure the end user experience matches expectations and meets functional requirements".

One of the biggest benefits of doing API testing is that these tests can be executed before the tested application is fully built. This allows finding issues at the development stage!

At the same time, "API testing requires data to be used from one API call response to the following request, data comparison as part of verification". In SmartBear, we like to hear that ReadyAPI helps you a lot with generating such data!

The event participants described the importance of UI testing like this - "UI Testing plays a crucial role to Interaction & Customer friendliness". Customers will appreciate an interactive high-quality user interface of the application they use.

Ideal Testing Process

API and UI testing processes look very similar. You named the following major steps of the process:

"1) Test Requirement Analysis; 2) Test Plan/Strategy 3) Test Design; 4) Traceability Matrix; 5) Bug Tracking". However, you mentioned that the testing process may vary depending on the team, test requirements, the app, etc.

Important Skills for Software Engineers

Event contributors agreed that to do API testing or UI testing each software engineer should understand basic principles of how API works or how software applications work. However, learning script languages and taking testing courses will significantly help your career grow. For API testing, the participants suggested learning the basics of Java, Python or Groovy. As for the learning courses, SmartBear provides a lot of great ones - choose the one you need at the moment.

One of the most important skills each tester should work on is communication. Communication with your team, developers of the app you test, as well as communication with peers. That's what the SmartBear Community is here for. We are happy that you enjoy being with us Smiley Happy

You mentioned that communication with developers is the toughest skill - "It's always important to be tactful as those same bugs might proof (or feel like proof) that the developers did a lousy job". And, everybody should understand that developers and testers think differently: "developers mindset: "How to make this work" - testers mindset: "How to break this!"

Software Testing vs. Development

At the same time, you said that "Software testing is harder than development". You need to have the knowledge in many different areas; testers have more responsibilities as customers may face the issues they haven't found. I'm sure developers can argue with this statement Smiley Happy

What Testing Is

I am glad to see that all of you love doing software testing! Here are only several quotes of how you describe testing:

• "As I find defect after defect I feel like and get boost to fly."
  • "Writing up test plans and test cases are just the preparations for the journey.  Like doing all the research and prep work for climbing Mt. Everest."
  • "I love finding bugs in software. It's a hunt, a safari."

Thanks ❀️!

I'd like to finish the API Testing vs. UI Testing event with this quote: "put your heart into anything you do, then anything becomes fun and enjoyable!" Smiley Happy I hope you enjoyed the competition. As usual, feel free to leave comments/suggestions/ideas about this and future events.

See you in the SmartBear Community Smiley Happy

Community Manager
4 Comments
Community Hero

Congrats to the API crew!  Well done!  Glad that you are on our team... no, really.  While this was a friendly competition, ANYONE whose goal is to make software of the best possible quality is on the same team.  

Super Contributor

Congratulations to the newly joined member @Marramreddy  @thoshima  @mkajale2  @Shivani1 of the community for contributing and get engaged with this competition. Hope to see you all keep on contributing for this community. Thanks to @TanyaGorbunova for taking such a great step and arranging this kind of debate for the community.

Contributor

Yay ! Congrats to all. This was an amazing activity from Smartbear community that helped get perspectives from professionals across different verticals. I appreciate efforts of @TanyaGorbunova  to bring the community closer & share the ideas on this platform.Everytime I hit a roadblock at work, I get most of the answers from this platform . During spare time, I casually go through different issues & solutions posted on this forum and I get to learn lot of new things .

Cheers to the whole team & looking forward to more such interactive events from Smartbear ! Smiley Happy

-SuperSingh

Community Leader

Thanks @TanyaGorbunova for arranging on more successful activity for the community and this time engaging bth UI and API Smiley Happy

And many congratulations to all the contributers Smiley Happy

Users online (177)
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video: