Forum Discussion

BRiddle
Occasional Visitor
7 years ago

Does AQTime support profiling Async Task code in C# (processing changes to different thread context)

Our developers are beginning to write more applications using C# and .Net's new "Task Await" async operations.   

I tried to profile one such application with AQTime 8, but the results don't seem to have caught all of the executing code.   I have read that Task Await farms the processing out to a different thread with the results eventually returned to the calling thread.  It's not uncommon for this to lead to poor performance or outright hangs from lock conflicts or inability to get back to the original calling thread's execution context for the async operation to return the result.

I tried to profile one such application with AQTime 8, but the results don't seem to have caught all of the executing code.   I didn't know if I was setting things up wrong or if  AQTime was unable to time calls across such a thread context change.

Thanks!

-Bob

1 Reply

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi Bob,

If the thread is started within the same process I would expect that this can be profiled with AQTime...

It may help if you provide more exact description of what seems to not work as expected now. Maybe, with some sample application.

If this is not an option and/or you like to get more definite answer, I would recommend to raise Support ticket via https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=AQtime form. (Follow-up update here will be appreciated.)

P.S. AQTime 8.71 update was released today and you may try to check if something in this area was improved there...