Forum Discussion

amazon_devil
New Contributor
5 months ago

Zephyr Test Case Issue Type & Issue Key

Hi All,

I'm running into an issue I can't find a solution/answer for - hence the post.

We have Zephyr Configured against a project and 2 things are happening that I can't figure out.

1. The project required an issue key change, but Zephyr issue keys did not follow suit. I'm wondering if that would require for Zephyr to be uninstalled/reinstalled to the project to correct that?

2. I'm trying to export all the test cases, and or find them in the JIRA issue search, but I'm currently being unsuccessful. They don't appear to be created as a searchable issue type - and I can't understand why/how...or even how to potentially update the issue type, if that's even possible.

3 Replies

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

I'll try to help.  Using your numbering system...

1. I've seen this posted a few times (see search results) and it seems that a change in the Project key does not automatically change the key in Scale.  I'm sure I've seen a post with a reply from SmartBear confirming same and that there's no fix for it.

2. There isn't a specific Issue Type for Scale issues - they follow whatever types are setup and selected in your project.  You should be able to write a JQL or basic query that returns all issues in your project, and some of those should be related to test execution issues.  One way to find some  issues would be to go to the Test Cycles page in Scale and show the Issues column.  If issues have been created they will show as a number in that column.  Highlighting one of those numbers with your mouse cursor will reveal an option to "View in Issue Navigator" which will open said issues in Jira.  Hopefully once you find some in Jira you'll be able to figure out why your search isn't working, but if that doesn't work let me know a bit more information about what you're seeing and I'll try to help further.

amazon_devil
      New Contributor

Thank you for your response.

For #1, that's a bummer - I thought that might be the case.

For #2 I've corrected a wording. I'm trying to export the test cases themselves, not the issues. As I'm quite new to Zephyr I'm not sure if test cases are supposed to be created as an actual issue type that should be searchable in JIRA's issue search function - but currently I can't find them there at all and I'm not sure if that's expected behaviour.

I did however test your suggestion before I realised I had the wording wrong, and I can confirm I was able to find bug issues I'd raised, but they're picking up on the new project key and not the old one like the rest of the Zephyr cases are.

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

You're welcome 🙂

I got confused when you mentioned Issue Types as this is a thing specific to Jira which manages Issues.  Scale sits inside of Jira and has Test Cases which are not searchable in Jira because Jira can't 'see' them.  To export them you need to do that from inside the Scale app.  Here's a quick & dirty illustration I made to explain:

To export Test Cases you therefore need to go into the Zephyr Scale app (visible on the Jira menu bar under Apps > Zephyr Scale.  From there you would go to the Test Cases area and if needed use the filters to select which records you want to export, using the relevant menu options (More > Export to XML/Excel).