Forum Discussion

ShanthiS
New Contributor
4 days ago

How to use Generic test cases for different components

Hi,

I have built  generic test cases  at component level , now I want the same testcases to be used for individual stories belonging to the component. For instance , Component here is Database tables and I have built a set of test cases to validate the tables , user stories are created for specific tables. Now the same set of test cases has to be used for all the user stories just by switching the tables

What would be the better way to do it , customize the test cases with Table name and import into Test cases , link to user story and then execute them.

Can someone suggest a better way to achieve this

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

When you say better, I'm not sure what you want to be better, but, for me I'm thinking about  ease to maintain and reporting:

• Keeping the test cases generic and not adding a table name will enable you to clone the test cases multiple times and add it to other test cycles
      • But, if you're keeping the generic test cases in Excel and then adding table names before importing, this would also work well - it depends which is easier to manage and maintain.
      • I suspect Excel will be the easier of the two for find/replace and edit features - those would not be so easy in Scale.
    • You could create a custom field or use the Component or Label fields in your cloned/imported test cases to enable identification of the table and its associated set of tables.
    • Example:
      • You have 500 test cases for 500 tables
      • The test cases are generic, e.g. "Check that this table has data"
      • The test cases have the table name (or some grouping information) stored in a custom field or Component/Label field, e.g. "Table 1", and/or "Audit Tables"
      • You add the 500 test cases to a Test Cycle for execution
      • You can now create dashboards or reports that:
        • Report execution progress for the Test Cycle overall, and
        • Report execution progress for individual/groups of test cases, e.g. Audit Tables progress

Let me know if I can help further