Forum Discussion

Florin_Neamtu
Occasional Contributor
16 years ago

SOAP headers specified by policies in WSDL

Hi SOAPUI team!

I learnt from this forum that SOAPUI doesn't automatically generate SOAP headers from the policies in WSDL. The problem can be solved easily by creating these headers manually. However, when I update the schema (though non-breaking changes) and choose to update the affected operations too (with keep existing data option on), these manually added headers DISSAPEAR! The existing values in the message are preserved, as expected, but the headers are not preserved. It happens to custom headers and it happens to "known" headers like WS-Security UsernameToken header added by SOAPUI (right-click on the message pane, etc).

What are the current plans for automatically generating SOAP Headers/Content specified by policies in the WSDL?

In the meantime, what can I do to have the headers preserved when I update the schema?

Thanks,
Florin Neamtu

3 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Florin,

we are working on improved policy-support, which specific policies are you interested in?

Regarding the preservation of headers when updating messages, I've added this as an improvement to be added to the next major release.. sorry to keep you waiting.

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    Florin_Neamtu
    Occasional Contributor
    Thank you very much for the reply.

The most important will be WS-SecurityPolicy and the next would be a policy for WS-Context (I don't know yet if there is a specific policy for this), however the basic policy operators would be good enough.

But, a lot can be done already even without specific policy support as long as the manually added headers are not removed when the service schema is updated. It would be fantastic if this could go into a minor release so that we don't have to wait so long only for this. It would enable testing many real-life scenarios.

Any idea when the next major release is scheduled?
    Florin_Neamtu
    Occasional Contributor
    Just a quick update on this for anyone interested - starting with the nightly build of 16-Mar, the guys have added support for keeping the headers when updating the schema, based on a chekbox in UpdateDefinition dialog box. It worked just fine for me.

Rgds!
    Florin