Forum Discussion

stman
New Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Brackets in scripting in soapui.

Hi,

I'm following a series of lessons in SoapUI. I'm in scripting for automation and what I miss are the brackets. The instructor uses brackets and square brackets. I have no clue when to use which. Does anyone know more specifically where I can look for information?

Thanks

• Hi,

Would you mind giving a little more detail or at least a specific example?

When there are brackets, it typically indicates a method on a class.  E.g. myObj,toString() where toString is a parameter-less method.  You may also need to pass in parameters to a method.  For example log.info() expects you to 'pass' in a message.  E.g. log.info("Hello World")

Where there are square brackets, that typically indicates an element within an list, array, collection.

You tend to put a number inside the square brackets which says which row you're interested in.  E.g.

var animal = animals[0];  // Gives the animal in the first (first because lists are zero-index based) row.

Typically, you'd actually put a variable inside the square brackets...

Note, the below is purely for illustration and probably won't be syntactically correct.

for (i = 0; i < animals.size; i++) {

var currentAnimal = animals[i];  // Get the animal at position i based on our loop.

log.info(currentAnimal);

}

3 Replies

ChrisAdams
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

Would you mind giving a little more detail or at least a specific example?

When there are brackets, it typically indicates a method on a class.  E.g. myObj,toString() where toString is a parameter-less method.  You may also need to pass in parameters to a method.  For example log.info() expects you to 'pass' in a message.  E.g. log.info("Hello World")

Where there are square brackets, that typically indicates an element within an list, array, collection.

You tend to put a number inside the square brackets which says which row you're interested in.  E.g.

var animal = animals[0];  // Gives the animal in the first (first because lists are zero-index based) row.

Typically, you'd actually put a variable inside the square brackets...

Note, the below is purely for illustration and probably won't be syntactically correct.

for (i = 0; i < animals.size; i++) {

var currentAnimal = animals[i];  // Get the animal at position i based on our loop.

log.info(currentAnimal);

}

stman
      New Contributor

In the example below there is one scenario with aquare bracket and in the getPropertyValue there is normal bracket.

testRunner.testCase.testSuite.testCases["GetEmployee"].testSteps["get"].getPropertyValue("Request")

ChrisAdams
        Champion Level 3

This references a test case by name.  In this case, the test case is called GetEmployee

testRunner.testCase.testSuite.testCases["GetEmployee"]

I'm assuming the GetEmployee test case has a test step called "get".

.testSteps["get"]

So far, we've 'grabbed' a hold of the test step called "get"

testRunner.testCase.testSuite.testCases["GetEmployee"].testSteps["get"]

The square brackets so far have been used to get an element in the array by name.  My early note mentioned square brackets indicate a list of some sort and my example used a number to reference the element of interest.  Here, SmartBear are doing the same, but by name.  If you think about the GetEmployee test case, there will be a series of steps that you could reference by number, but this is 'by name'.

The test step class has lots of methods.  One being 'getPropertyValue'.  This method requires a parameter passed-in.  In this case, the example is aiming to get the test steps property value named "Request".