Forum Discussion

kamilineni
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Trouble with Ramp Up Generator

Hi Guys,
I have a problem with the Ramp up generator, when I am load testing my web services. For example I have a Test case of testing my web services with a basic load of 50 users. I have generated my scenarios in such a way to ramp up at 5/min for 10 mins with a ramp generator and run the test at peak load with a fixed rate generator at 50/min for 10 mins and ramp down at 5/min for 10 mins with ramp generator again. Can someone suggest me what numbers should I use for my Ramp generators for Ramp up and Ramp down.

I have already tested my test case with a fixed rate generator and everything is working fine with that. But, when I am using Ramp up generator with some sample numbers like start at 5/min and end at 50/min, Too many requests were sent to my soap runner with in a minute(around 90 requests). May I know the reason behind this???

Thanks,
Kumar

6 Replies

AndyHughes
    Regular Contributor
    Probably best if you could post a picture of your generator.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

To troubleshoot that, I would have to have a look at your project setup, like Andy proposed.

However, I would like you to try the Ramp Sequence Generator, which I have attached to this post, in loadUI 2.0 beta 1. That one has support for RampUp -> Constant -> RampDown.

To install the component, unzip its content into the script-components folder of your loadUI installation.

Please let me know how how it worked for you!

Henrik
    SmartBear Software
    kamilineni
    Occasional Contributor
    Well, here I am attaching my Load UI xml document. and this is my required scenario.

Ramp Up Duration Ramp Down
    5 / min (for 10 minutes) 10 minutes 5 / min(for 10 minutes)

Thanks for the help guys. I will try with the sequence generator and will get back to you Henrik.

Thanks,
    Kumar
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Thanks,

Now that you mentioned it, I remember a time-of-unit related bug in the old Ramp Generator. Here's the topic where that was discussed. The fix is in loadUI 2.0 beta 1 as well. Feel free to try it.

Have a nice holiday!

Henrik
    SmartBear Software
    kamilineni
    Occasional Contributor
    This Ramp Sequence generator is working real good. But, the only issue with it is the "peak rate" is only in terms of seconds. But, for a load test with few user load like a peak load of 86 users, it can't be used. It would be better if we have the "peak rate" in terms of minutes.

Thanks,
    Kumar
    SmartBear_Suppo
    kamilineni wrote:
    This Ramp Sequence generator is working real good. But, the only issue with it is the "peak rate" is only in terms of seconds. But, for a load test with few user load like a peak load of 86 users, it can't be used. It would be better if we have the "peak rate" in terms of minutes.

Thanks,
    Kumar

Thanks for the feedback!

That's a very good point and I've now added it to our backlog. It will hopefully be fixed before the final release of 2.0.

Henrik
    SmartBear Software