Forum Discussion

mheiland
New Contributor
10 years ago

SoapUI not working without X since 5.1.0

Hi,

i'm a SoapUI Pro user and already escalated this to support. Sadly there has been close to none useful response yet, other that a Bug has been filed (SOAP-2705). This issue is blocking our automated testing for more than a month since the testrunner seems to call the licensing check now which requires the machine to run X11 (linux) installed. Before, testrunner did not do license checking and just worked.

Sadly 5.1.0 also changed the file format and new tests have been developed using that format. Therefor, downgrading is not possible anymore. Calling the testrunner throws:
================================
=
= SOAPUI_HOME = /root/soapui-pro
=
================================
- Could not find jfxrt.jar. Internal browser will be disabled.
SoapUI Pro 5.1.0 TestCase Runner
Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:207)
at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:535)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:385)
at javax.swing.SwingUtilities$SharedOwnerFrame.<init>(SwingUtilities.java:1756)
at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.getSharedOwnerFrame(SwingUtilities.java:1831)
at javax.swing.JOptionPane.getRootFrame(JOptionPane.java:1697)
at javax.swing.JOptionPane.getFrameForComponent(JOptionPane.java:1613)
at com.jp.protection.gui.dialogs.LicenseErrorDialog.<init>(LicenseErrorDialog.java:49)
at com.jp.protection.gui.dialogs.DefaultLicenseAdapter.<init>(DefaultLicenseAdapter.java:56)
at com.jp.protection.pub.launch.ProtectionLauncher.initLicenseListener(ProtectionLauncher.java:128)
at com.jp.protection.pub.launch.HeadlessProtectionLauncher.init(HeadlessProtectionLauncher.java:189)
at com.jp.protection.pub.launch.ProtectionLauncher.init(ProtectionLauncher.java:113)
at com.eviware.soapui.impl.protection.SoapuiProtectionSupport.a(SourceFile:235)
at com.eviware.soapui.impl.protection.SoapuiProtectionSupport.<init>(SourceFile:73)
at com.eviware.soapui.impl.protection.SoapuiProtectionSupport.<init>(SourceFile:61)
at com.eviware.soapui.impl.protection.ProtectionLicense.checkLicenseExpired(SourceFile:169)
at com.eviware.soapui.LicenseHandling.a(SourceFile:88)
at com.eviware.soapui.SoapUIProTestCaseRunner.init(SourceFile:67)
at com.eviware.soapui.SoapUIProTestCaseRunner.main(SourceFile:62)

The issue has been reported 2014-07-17, SoapUI 5.1.1 has been released at the end of July, without this bugfix. Is there any estimate when this issue will be fixed? Please realise that we can not run automated tests right now since modifying the test environment is very expensive. I find it quite cheeky to just change such fundamentals from one minor version to another. "Can't be used headless" does not sound like a great argument to "Go Pro", right?

Martin

5 Replies

redfish4ktc2
    Super Contributor
    Hi, as a pro user, you should be able to post in the "SoapUI Pro Forum" to also get direct answer from SmartBear.
    Have you check viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24797 ? Other pro users are currently complaining about the new technical restriction!
    mheiland
    New Contributor
    Thanks,

by the time i registered, i was not able to post at the "Pro" Forum yet. Indeed, 5.1.0 introduced several issues for unattended usage (e.g. as headless test-runner). One is the need to have a license file, i solved this by putting a license file to ~/.soapui before running the test. The dependency on X (resp. a non-headless JVM) however is a real issue which i cannot work-around easily without heavily modifying our test infrastructure.

Given that the data format also changed with 5.1.0 too, this is a major pain since i can't go back to an earlier version. I'd really appreciate if such core changes that influence operations would not be introduced from one minor update to the next. I understand that Smartbear wants to make money with software licenses, thats fine with me. Crippling the product in such a way that it loses most of its value to customers that heavily rely on test automation is a no-go.

Cheers,
    Martin
    mheiland
    New Contributor
    Hi,

thanks, i've access to those forums now. I guess it just took a while and included some manual process.

Licensing is not my problem, starting SoapUI works fine license-wise, just not if no X is running... still hoping for some kind of scheduling for this fix.

I already tried some workarounds like installing a headful JVM or using local VNC to emulate an X server. We're using virtual environment that gets fired up and auto-configured through Chef just for running the test. This way, we save a lot of money for running always-on machines. Too bad Smartbear seems to think computers in 2014 are grey boxes with screens and keyboards attached

Martin