Forum Discussion

DouglasY
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Unexpected diffs: Automatic update of element id attributes in SoapUI obscures intentional changes

Is there a way to limit the automatic update of element identifier attributes so that they do not obscure intentional changes in a diff of the project files?   We are upgrading from SoapUI Pro 4.6....
    8 years ago

I have solved this. The tests that were exhibiting the constant refresh of element id had testCase or testSuite name value identical to another test.  This apparently did not confuse SoapUI 4.6.4, but when importing into Ready-API 1.8.5, it confused it enough to mess up the project save, although no error message was detected.

How did the test cases and suites get duplicate name?  The UI (even SoapUI 4.6.4) won't let you enter a duplicate name.  I speculate that this may have occurred when merging project edits, or by some hotshot who copied an existing test case or test suite folder with the intent of modifying it, but did not catch all the places where the name had to be modified when working outside the UI.  

The fix was to edit the xml files to make the conflicting name elements were unique, then re-import the project into Ready-API. Now, when I make a change using the UI, only files related to that change show differences, and the differences look like the change I intended to make.  Hooray!