Forum Discussion

mariam
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

It seems Cnt is not correct in Load testing

Hello everybody,
I am using SOAPUI for testing a web service in the LAN area.
I am using a load testing and everything seems good in soap-ui and I don't see any error in "err" column.
My problem began when I installed another software named "Wire-Shark" for checking the network packets.
I found that the number of packet in "Cnt" column is different with number of Soap requests that I capture with Wire-shark.

For example in Soap-UI when I run a load test, I set the "number of threads= 5" and I am running it for "1 sec".
The "cnt= 2" after running the test. So I guess just 2 packet is sent, since I have some delay between sending each packet.

But I capture "5" different Http Request and "5" different Http Response using Wire-Shark. I am sure all of them are different requests and responses because I checked the content of all Http requests and responses in Wire-shark.

Also when I run this test another time I may get completely different number in SOAP-UI and Wire-Shark. for example cnt=3 in SOAP-UI and number of HTTP request is 7 in Wire-Shark.

That seems strange to me and I don't know what I am missing here? Is there anybody with the same experience?
Thank you for any clue!

5 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Mariam,

could you please attach a screenshot of your soapUI LoadTest after it has run so we can get some more details?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    mariam
    Occasional Contributor
    Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately I'm out of town now. I will send the snapshot next week.
    Thanks again.
    mariam
    Occasional Contributor
    This is the snapshot from SoapUI. I also atach the snapshot from WireShark.
    I hope this helps to understand what's going on.
    Some information about the project:

Web service name: duke1
    Web server IP: 137.x.x.143
    SoapUI client IP: 137.x.x.199

As I understood the number of request sent in SoapUI is 6. But in wireshark I see 10 request and 10 response.
    I really appreciate if somebody helps me to underestand this output.

Thank you so much again.
    Mariam Rahmani
    http://myweb.unomaha.edu/~crahmani/
    mariam
    Occasional Contributor
    Well, this is what I found about this problem so far.
    Because in the load test I put the limit = 1 second, then Soapui just counts any requests in 1 second even there are many other requests that really sent. (I don't know why soapui sends requests after 1 second!)

But if you want the exact number of SOAP requests you need to change the limit to "runs per thread".
    for example: I put limit = 10 runs per second and then threads = 200, then I have cnt =2000 and this number matches the number of packets that I see in WireShark.

But keep in mind that in this case we cannot control time. for example this test in my machine may take 50 second. but it is different in another machine. This is my understanding.
    Please let me know if i am wrong!
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Thanks for the excellent troubleshooting of this Mariam!

I have now added it to our backlog (issue# SOBL-873) so that the soapUI team can have a look at this.

Regards

/Henrik
    eviware.com