Forum Discussion

Ruhul_Ikram
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Which field will allow Test Case/Tests and Requirements Link to Release automatically?

In our project we are using ALMComplete. 

We want to link all our Tests/Test Cases link Release automatically instead of doing it manually through Link to Items.

For Example:

Create 100 Test Cases in Excel and  import them to Test Library, but currently we have to do manually. Instead we are looking for a text field that will automatically link to Release.

If in excel we enter release name and upload to ALM or create a test case in test library in ALM with release name entered in field will it automatically link to Release? Same goes for Requirement. 

Note: We do not use build or iteration, only Release. 

Thanks

• Hello Ruhul,

Currently the only way to do this would be to manually create the links between Requirements or Releases and Tests. When importing from .csv there is no way to import the traceability. We do have an enhancement request in the backlog with our product team to provide the ability to import traceability relationshipts with the import function. I will go ahead and create a case for you in order for you to be notified when there is an update regarding this request.

Ruhul, you can link multiple Tests or Test Sets to a Release. I will list a step by step information for you below. Please know that further below is a quick video that also walks you through the process.

- Click on the "Releases" tab
    - Now you see all of your "Releases"
    - Click on the "Link Items" icon of the Release you wish to link Test Sets to
    - You will see at "Releases:" your selected Release
    - Under "Linkages To:" you will need to select "Test Sets"
    - Please note, if you have already any Test Sets linked to this Release, they will show up for you on the screen
    - On the right hand side you will need to select your "Folder:" of where your Test Sets reside in
    - Or if you select "All Folders", it will display you all of your Test Sets
    - You can move one at a time, or select multiple Test Sets (with the Shift key) and move them over to the linkage screen

> Please watch my video at: http://screencast.com/t/dzqRX14F
    > You will see that I have 1 Test Set named 'CMG's Test Set' already linked to my Test Release
    > I now wish to also link my 4 Test Sets under my 'Maximus Test Sets' folder to the same release
    > And I wish to 'remove' the linked Release from my CMG's Test Set
    > I go to Releases and select my Test Release "Link items" icon
    > I select "Test Sets" from the "Linkages To:" drop down
    > First I remove my CMG Test Set that I no longer need to be linked to that Release by clicking on "Remove Linked Item" icon
    > Now I select my folder where my Test Sets reside in and I do a select all and move them over to the linkage page and click on "Close
    > I go back to my Test Sets to show you that it linked properly

Thank you,
    Christiane

4 Replies

• Yea I found it rather painful that there's no method of linking large volumes of tests and test sets to a release. Each time I create a new release I basically want all the tests that already exist in the project to be linked to the new release. I ended up using the SOAP API to programmatically link each test and test set in a project to a given release.

You might be able to figure out a similar solution. But hopefully better support can be added for linking tests to a release.

• Hello Ruhul,

Currently the only way to do this would be to manually create the links between Requirements or Releases and Tests. When importing from .csv there is no way to import the traceability. We do have an enhancement request in the backlog with our product team to provide the ability to import traceability relationshipts with the import function. I will go ahead and create a case for you in order for you to be notified when there is an update regarding this request.

Ruhul, you can link multiple Tests or Test Sets to a Release. I will list a step by step information for you below. Please know that further below is a quick video that also walks you through the process.

- Click on the "Releases" tab
    - Now you see all of your "Releases"
    - Click on the "Link Items" icon of the Release you wish to link Test Sets to
    - You will see at "Releases:" your selected Release
    - Under "Linkages To:" you will need to select "Test Sets"
    - Please note, if you have already any Test Sets linked to this Release, they will show up for you on the screen
    - On the right hand side you will need to select your "Folder:" of where your Test Sets reside in
    - Or if you select "All Folders", it will display you all of your Test Sets
    - You can move one at a time, or select multiple Test Sets (with the Shift key) and move them over to the linkage screen

> Please watch my video at: http://screencast.com/t/dzqRX14F
    > You will see that I have 1 Test Set named 'CMG's Test Set' already linked to my Test Release
    > I now wish to also link my 4 Test Sets under my 'Maximus Test Sets' folder to the same release
    > And I wish to 'remove' the linked Release from my CMG's Test Set
    > I go to Releases and select my Test Release "Link items" icon
    > I select "Test Sets" from the "Linkages To:" drop down
    > First I remove my CMG Test Set that I no longer need to be linked to that Release by clicking on "Remove Linked Item" icon
    > Now I select my folder where my Test Sets reside in and I do a select all and move them over to the linkage page and click on "Close
    > I go back to my Test Sets to show you that it linked properly

Thank you,
    Christiane

Ruhul_Ikram
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the solution regarding Test Case and Test Sets linking to release. But is there similar way we can link multiple test cases to a requirement or vice-versa?

Thanks 

CGangloff

Hello Ruhul,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, you can mass link Requirements to Tests or Tests To Requirements by selecting "Show Traceability" and clicking on "Link items...". Please find my recorded video attached, thank you Ruhul.

Best Regards,
        Christiane