Forum Discussion

randyj
New Contributor
13 years ago

Importing Requirements - Auto numbering in Title Field?

When importing requirements from a CSV file I've set the Title field with a value of "R-XXXX" for all requirements expecting that ALMComplete will assign a unique number for each XXXX. However, I am getting a duplicate record error for all but the first requirement in the import. A couple of questions.

1. Will ALMComplete substitute a unique number for the XXXX field in title during imports?

On a related note, if I specify the folder field for imported requirements will ALMComplete place the requirement in the correct folder of my requirements structure?

Thanks,

Randy

5 Replies

• Hi Randy -

The import doesn't recognize the numbering function that the UI does. You'll have to edit your CSV file and make the title unique (manually number them?) in order to get the Requirements in.

As long as the folder / sub folder exists and the names match exactly, the import will put your Requirements into the correct folder. Include the full folder path - in other words, if using a sub folder, make sure the column in the CSV file contains "parentfoldername/childfoldername".

Hope this helps!
  • I'm keen to use this idea of importing requrements into folders by specifying the path in the Title field.

Two questions further questions arise

1. Does the folder need to exist before the input

2. If so, is there a method of importing folder structure (I have many to import)

• Sorry
    Barbara, having read this properly now I see you said the folder needs to exist
    beforehand to allow import content into it.

Now I'm trying to work out how to get around the prohibitively short 100 char
    max length of the Title field. You don't need many levels of folder before you
    run into problems with a title of 50 or so chars.

e.g. "FS-I03-Create new user/Procurement user/Wizard Step 1/Choice of
    organisation can be selected from a list"
    is 104 chars

If there is a method of importing a pre-existing
    folder structure and then importing into a certain
    position in the folder hierarchy from the context of the particular folder the import was run, that would be massively helpful to me here.

• Hi Seymour -

Yes, you can import directly into Folders.

First, set up your Folder Structure in Requirements.

Then, in your CSV file, add a column for Folder.

In this column, put the exact folder / sub folder structure - it has to match your defined Folders in Requirements.

When you import, you can map the Folder column to Folders.

Hope that helps!
  • Hi Seymour -

Yes, you can import directly into Folders.

First, set up your Folder Structure in Requirements.

Then, in your CSV file, add a column for Folder.

In this column, put the exact folder / sub folder structure - it has to match your defined Folders in Requirements.

When you import, you can map the Folder column to Folders.

Hope that helps!