Forum Discussion

mike_lyons
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

How to organize regression tests?

We are using the enterprise edition of QA Complete for manual tracking of tests.  We have grouped our tests in the library into folders based on functional area.  We then take the tests and put them into test sets.  

Based on this I have a list of test sets that I plan on using for regression testing.  I have two problems that I need help with.  

First, if I run the regression tests in one sprint and want to run them again in another sprint there is not an easy way to link the test sets in bulk to another sprint.  I have to edit each test set one at a time and link them to a new sprint.

Second, once all the test sets are in the sprint and my QA team is working from the test sets page they need to know which test sets have already been run in this sprint.  The column for last run status shows the status from the previous sprint at the start of an new sprint.  They could look at the date of the last run but it is easy for them to miss that.  As a work around I have added a new check box field that tells them they have run this test set once in this Sprint.  However that requires them to edit the test set and check the box the first time they run the test set.  This approach is fraught with human error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike
  • Hi Mike,

We face the same problems here. 

About your first issue, I think what helps is the fact that the listboxes in "Link to Item" window remembers the last used value. But I also would like the feature to link multiple items to be added.

About your second issue, did you try using Filters ?

If you set a Filter named for example "ProductA - Sprint X", with a condition like this:

"Date Last Run" "Greater than >" "07/26/2013" (which is the last day of the last sprint).

then you would only see what you want...

Anik

5 Replies

kwiegandt
    Occasional Contributor
    I feel your pain!!  To make the linking easier (but not easy), you can go into the sprint (using the Releases tab) and link to the the test sets from that. 

Regarding the last run status, I have complained about this to the vendor.  I feel that if I have selected sprint 2, the last run status should display values for sprint 2 only.  So if a test set hasn't been run for sprint 2, the last run status should not display passed or failed.  I was told that the system isn't that smart.  No kidding!!!!  I don't mean to sound cynical, but to me this is basic functionality that is missing.  Maybe if enough of us scream, the vendor will hear.  Sadly when I look at the data dictionary, the information is all there.  It just isn't being retrieved. 
  • Hi Mike,

About your first issue, I think what helps is the fact that the listboxes in "Link to Item" window remembers the last used value. But I also would like the feature to link multiple items to be added.

If you set a Filter named for example "ProductA - Sprint X", with a condition like this:

"Date Last Run" "Greater than >" "07/26/2013" (which is the last day of the last sprint).

Anik
  • Hi Mike,

I have got an answer to part of problem from SmartBear tech support team:

http://screencast.com/t/5vU6Fh8JNv

The screen cast shows how link multiple Test Sets to a Release using the "Link Items" icon in the Release listing screen. But this will be useful to link a batch of Test Sets to a new RELEASE but NOT to an new iteration or build.

Have a nice day,

Anik

mike_lyons
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Mike,

Anik

Anik,

I had not tried filters.  That helps quite a bit.  Thank you.

For the first issue it is helpful that the UI remembers the last used value but we have too many test sets.  They really need to create a batch link option.

mike_lyons
    Occasional Contributor
    Anik,

That is much better than doing it by hand.  Not perfect but much better.

Thanks for posting it.

Mike