Forum Discussion

lrayTalen
Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

how do I cut and paste from excel into a field in a test case?

When I try to copy and paste something from Excel it constantly tells me it is too large to fit in the field. Not sure how it calculates the size but it is not based on the number of text characters. 

mpourali
    8 years ago

Hi Again,

One way I know to get rid of a hidden char is copy the section into a notepad, then copy all from Notepad and attempt to paste it to the desired field.

If you still have issues withe the length, you may want to break down the text and put into multiple fields (i.e., Comment1, Comment2, etc).

cheers...

4 Replies

mpourali
    Occasional Contributor

For a custom field:

1. Log in as an admin.

2.  Go to System Configuration > Screen Layouts.

3. Select the desired page. Eg, Requirements.

4. Click on the Custom Field link.

5. Adjust the Field Size, then Submit the changes.

6. Go back to the page you were entering data, and paste.

lrayTalen
      Contributor

Yes I know how to increase the field size and have done that – several times.  But like a prior post mentioned – I have less characters to paste that the size limit allows – but it flags the error anyway.  What hidden characters does it use – how can you get rid of them?

mpourali
        Occasional Contributor

Hi Again,

One way I know to get rid of a hidden char is copy the section into a notepad, then copy all from Notepad and attempt to paste it to the desired field.

If you still have issues withe the length, you may want to break down the text and put into multiple fields (i.e., Comment1, Comment2, etc).

cheers...