Forum Discussion

Janett
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago

No notification from SmartBear when i used Amazon EC2 instance to generate load

Hi,

I am new to LoadComplete. I just tried the sample tests what SmartBear documentation has provided. Likewise I tried to open an account in Amazon Web Services to generate load from cloud instance according to SmartBear-LoadComplete documentation guides. I am new to AWS too. I am not aware of AWS free tier instances and other charged instances. So as per LoadComplete documentation on Amazon Image, I selected instance type as Medium instance(m3.medium) which I was not aware about the charges. LoadComplete documentation recommended m1.large instance to select, but I selected only medium instance and run the test. At last I got charged from Amazon for using that instance for a month. I even don't know that there is an instance(m3.medium) has launched automatically and its running in my AWS account until I stop. 

So my question is, doesn’t LoadComplete notify to its users, that a user has launched an instance in AWS? Won’t it send a notification to its users (e.g. Notification e-mails or messages)? Because this is the point where I didn’t think about charged instance.

Regards

Janett

• Hi Janett,

While in general I absolutely agree with you, I would like to wonder if the Cloud Test Price dialog (https://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/78953/) was shown before the test was started? Maybe it was set to not be displayed?

P.S. Nevertheless, thank you for your post as it provides a good consideration topics and checkpoints for those who are new to AWS.

4 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi Janett,

While in general I absolutely agree with you, I would like to wonder if the Cloud Test Price dialog (https://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/78953/) was shown before the test was started? Maybe it was set to not be displayed?

P.S. Nevertheless, thank you for your post as it provides a good consideration topics and checkpoints for those who are new to AWS.

Janett
      Occasional Contributor

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the quick response. 

I checked. Yes, fault is in my side. The "cost estimate" check box is disabled.

But it is good to send a notification to users in a similar way saying that "the selected instance has launched automatically in AWS account". Then the users who are new to AWS will be aware.

Anyway thanks again for your assistance..

Regards

Janett

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Janett,

a) Thank you for the confirmation that the dialog is shown if enabled; and

b) Again, thank you for the questions asked - I also don't have experience with AWS and your post is something that I will keep for the reference and future clarification for myself.

• Hi Janett,

I'm sorry to hear that LoadComplete caused you to incur unexpected charges. I will work with our product management team to investigate if the AWS instance is not properly turned off after the test is run. I will also forward your comments to our documentation team to see if we can make it more clear that use of the Amazon integration will result in charges from Amazon.

Thank you for reporting this, and again, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Best,