Forum Discussion

lshatze
4 years ago

Moving Test Cases from one project to another

Is there a way to move test cases from one project to another?

4 Replies

Hightech
    Occasional Contributor

You can import from another project, copy will be in both project

jfelix
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi, lshatze! Thank you for your question.

As Hightech pointed out, you can import the test cases from one project to another but only if you're using the server app.

If you're using the cloud app, you'd have to export the test cases and then import them into the project you want.

1. In the source project, select the test cases you want to move, click on the More ▾ button, and then Export to XML;
    2. In the target project, click on the ellipsis (...) button next to the + New button, and then Import from file. Select Zephyr Scale as the data source and upload the file you've just downloaded. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the import.

Test cases and folders are created automatically, but if you have custom fields, custom status, and custom priorities, you'll have to create them again in the target project.

I hope this answers your question,

Cheers!

Goke
      Occasional Contributor

This explanation covers how you can move one or a selection of test cases from a source project to a target project. I would like to move multiple folders. Each folder has sub-folders. Each sub-folder contains test cases. I'd like to move them all from one project to another and maintain the structure.

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

There's no feature to help with this, but as to thoughts on how to achieve:

1. my first check would be to see if I could clone the Jira Project and thereby clone the Scale setup also, but I'm not confident that would work.
    2. Next I'd check Test Case export options and see if the export data contains the folder structure.  If it does then you should be able to edit the data and import using that folder data to automatically create the folder structure as well as import your test cases.
    3. After that I'd look at the API and the Folder endpoint to see what I could do with that.

Hopefully one of those options works for you.