Forum Discussion

vb_1
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Profiling mixed code

Hello,

even though AQtime's documentation states that mixed code can be profiled with no specific settings/configuration, I still cannot get it to work.

I need to attach to an unmanaged process that hosts CLR and calls some managed code. How do I do that?? When I simply attach to the process, I the only thing that gets profiled is native C++, but the managed C#.

Please note, that my question relates to unmanaged code calling managed code, NOT vice versa. I CAN profile a managed application calling native C++. The question is how i can profile an unmanaged app calling .Net code and get results on both.

Regards

Vadym

3 Replies

AlexeyK
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Vadym,

As far as I know, the "Attach-to-Process" feature does not work for managed code. Here is a quote from the AQtime help file - the Attaching to Process topic:

Important notes:

If you attach to a .NET or Java application, AQtime will not analyze managed code in this application; only unmanaged code will be profiled. For example, by attaching a profiler to a managed application, you can profile native-code DLLs used by that application.

Try starting your application from AQtime in Normal mode. In this case, AQtime should be able to profile it.

vb_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Hello Alex,

interesting.. I did not know that, thank you for the quote.

The fact that you mentioned, leads to a question that is not directly related to the original post, but still is interesting. Does this mean that when I profile Asp.Net code, the profiler starts an IIS process for me and stops that process after I finish profiling session?

Regards

Vadym
    AlexeyK
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

The fact that you mentioned, leads to a question that is not directly related to the original post, but still is interesting. Does this mean that when I profile Asp.Net code, the profiler starts an IIS process for me and stops that process after I finish profiling session?

As far as I know, yes, this is how it works.