Forum Discussion

titou10
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago

How to integrate SoapUI with JMSToolBox

Hi,

I'm the author of JMSToolBox (https://sourceforge.net/projects/jmstoolbox), which has similar functionnalities as HemesJMS

JMSToolBox as been developepd as an alternative to HermesJMS as it seems that HermesJMS is not maintained anymore, to get a more "modern" GUI and an easier way to define connection/sessions to Q providers.

HermesJMS seems tighly coupled with HermesJMS (You can install HermesJMS at the same time a SoapUI..)

I would like to develop a plugin (?) for SoapUI to be able to post/get message from SoapUI through JMSToolBox

Q:

- Is there any interest for such development?

- Where to start?

- How to publish/maintain such extension/plugin?

Thanks

Denis

21 Replies

rupert_anderson
    Valued Contributor

Hi,

This is an cool idea, as you say the Hermes project seems to be dormant.

I would be happy to offer advice / snippets to show you how to develop a basic SoapUI plugin or even work with you to maybe help develop yours (amoungst other things I'm a Java Dev / Architect, have done some simple plugins, but not published any).

Aside from the plugin fundamentals, you would most likely need some java Swing skills to cover any UI feautres.

However, whilst I might be able to help, in all honesty a stronger offer may come from the Smartbear / SoapUI development team...?

Aside from the actual coding there are probably some architectural / design aspects to consider before starting the plugin, like whether you see it being a custom JMS TestStep plugin or whether you would like it to extend the existing Request TestSteps?

Apart from being done as a plugin, if seen as core functionality, possibly the Smartbear team would allow / help it to be added as a enhancement to the actual product e.g. as part of a feature request?

Anyway, cool idea, let me know if I can help and/or good luck working on it!

Cheers,

Rupert

rupert_anderson
      Valued Contributor

Just a remark on the link Rao provided, that one thing that is not always obvious regarding SoapUI plugins, is that there are actually 2 types, so called old-style plugins (designed and supported by open-source SoapUI) and the plugins as per that link (these only work with SoapUI NG i.e. they have special annotations and are compatible with the Plugin Manager, they don't work with the open source version, but could in some cases be reworked to do so).

Here is a link for plugins made for the open source version:

http://www.soapui.org/extension-plugins/old-style-extensions/deprecated-extension-plugins.html

They aren'r really any harder to develop, but there is less in the way of help docs etc. I have used Gradle to make my old-style / open source SoapUI plugins and can maybe help if this is the way you want to go, rather than the commercial SoapUI NG plugin route.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Rupert

rupert_anderson
        Valued Contributor

Addinonal remark on plugin type - one thing I forgot to mention on this, is that I had heard few months ago that Smartbear were planning to port the SoapUI NG / new style plugin framwork back to open source SoapUI, which would be a nice move if they were to do it. Although I don't know when this might happen - maybe some from SmartBear / dev team has some news here?

titou10
      Occasional Contributor

Yes JMSToolBox is bundled with the JMS 2.0 API