Forum Discussion

kkchan
Contributor
13 years ago

Failed to open in Windows7

Hi

I failed to open TestComplete 7.52 in Windows7. The IDE is launched and seem keep loading something forever.

Any ideas?

Thank you

9 Replies

• Hi Chan,

Please follow the steps below to help us investigate the problem:

1. Download the Debugging Tools for Windows package from:

http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/debuggers/dbg_x86_6.11.1.404.msi

and install it.

2. When TestComplete hangs, run WinDbg ("C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows\windbg.exe").

3. Attach WinDbg to TestComplete's process (File | Attach to a Process).

4. Type the following command in the Command window of WinDbg:

.dump /m "C:\TCDump.dmp"

and press Enter.

5. Click Go on the WinDbg toolbar (or press F5) in WinDbg. Wait for one minute and click Break (or press "Ctrl + Break") in WinDbg.

6. Repeat steps 4 - 5 to save more dump files with different file names.

7. Send us all of the dump files created in the steps above via our Contact Support form.

Thanks in advance.
    tandreys
    Occasional Contributor
    I've got the same problem under a Windows 7 - 64bits.

I have tried to create the dump file but I've got an error message 'Access is denied'.

best regards,

Thierry

• Hi Thierry,

I guess you just don't have the needed permissions to write to c:\. Try specifying another path for the dump file (e.g. your "My Documents" folder).

tandreys
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Allen,

I have created a case with 3 dump files.

If you need other info, let me know.

best regards,

Thierry Andreys

• Hi Thierry,

OK, let's work on this further in the support case you created. BTW, what's the issue# (or what e-mail you specified in the web form)?

tandreys
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Allen,

usually i receive any automatic email from Support right after submitting the case.I didn't get anything.

In the meantime, I have found a workaround.

I have edited the file tcSettings.xml (in [user\]AppData\Local\AutomatedQA\TestComplete\7.0)

to have no start page on startup (option at Startup=do nothing) and TC7 is opening fine.

best regards,

Thierry

• Hi Thierry,

I guess you got to the auto-suggested results step and did not proceed further - as the result, the support case has not been created. Try re-submitting your query.

• I received support that suggested that I add /ns after the executable in a shortcut. No earthly idea what that does. But it caused my Test Complete 7.2 to successfully load. Now if I could just get it to recognize my app under test...

Good luck!