Forum Discussion

alex_hokanson
Occasional Contributor
12 years ago

TestComplete is not detecting a file change

I have many script units shared across multiple projects, and when I make a change on a machine, I expect the change to propagate across all instances of TestComplete that are accessing that file.  Unfortunately, out of the 3 test environments that I have with TestComplete (9.2), one of them does not auto-detect the change in the script unit.  In order for me to see the change on that machine, I must reload the TestComplete project.

The environment is not extremely different, but just testing different parts of the same software, so I don't expect that to be the issue.  

I have tried the normal troubleshooting things like "magic-reboots" and I scoured the Options/Settings without any luck.  Is this a bug, or is there a way to re-enable to ability for TestComplete to detect when a script unit been changed remotely?

6 Replies

alex_hokanson
    Occasional Contributor
    So I have noticed this happening in one of my other environments as well.  It seems to be dependent on the file that is being changed.  Any ideas on why this would cause issues?
    alex_hokanson
    Occasional Contributor
    Looks like this isn't a bug.  I have found a correlation between having the file open for edit in TestComplete and whether or not I get the "script changed pop-up".  If I don't have the file open for edit, then I don't get the pop-up.
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Alex,

Yes, you are correct - TestComplete monitors only files opened in its workspace editors. Files that are not edited at the moment are not monitored because they are not loaded until either they are opened for edit or test run is started.

Another thing that may happen is that it looks like that TestComplete uses Windows change notification functionality to be notified about file change. If you have test project opened in the networked mode (i.e. from the file share) and network connection is down for some time, than these notifications may also not function properly.
    alex_hokanson
    Occasional Contributor
    So, I ran into this issue again, but this time the file was open for edit.  I didn't get the icon in the Project Explorer or the reload option in the file's context menu. Again, the solution is to reopen the project, since reloading that file itself removes any linkage between it and the project.
    alex_hokanson
    Occasional Contributor
    I haven't run into the issue again and it's almost been a month.  I will refer to the link you posted if I do run into it.  Hopefully I will be able to gather some logs or memory dumps for them.