Forum Discussion

alex_hokanson
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

Object Spy objects that are hidden?

Has anyone found a solution to searching, in depth, objects like dropdowns?  The problem I have is that only the way to find details hidden deeper in the object tree is by doing a Log.Message(object.item.item.xxx).  That can take a lot of time if you are not searching for something specific, or don't know the exact name of a property.

It sure would be nice if there was a way to tell TestComplete to cache data for all sub-objects when using the Object Spy. That way, even though the data might be a little bit stale, you can get a better idea of what kind of structure that object has.

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I couldn't find it.  If you have a link, that would be nice as well.

Thanks

3 Replies

• I often switch to using the Object Browser if in a deep tree of objects.

If the subobjects aren't exposed conveniently for that, I will sometimes just pause at a breakpoint in some dummy code and use Debug -> Evaluate to do the long guess-and-check approach.
    alex_hokanson
    Occasional Contributor
    I have used both methods before.  The problem is when you want to "search" around.  Then you get errors because the dropdown has closed by then and TestComplete is trying to refresh on a destroyed object.

Just curious though.  So far I haven't had to spend too much extra time with those types of objects. :)