Forum Discussion

DodongAmaw
New Contributor
6 years ago

"Parent" property is no longer available in Edit Name Mapping Item

Prior to v12.60 I am able to select Parent property in Edit Name Mapping Item. But now it is missing. A lot of other properties are gone as well. Any ideas on how to get it back?

7 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure how to get it back.  My guess is that there is probably a reason.  In looking at the property in Object Browser, the Parent property is an object, not a string or integer.

Is there a reason why you need to use the Parent property?  If you map the objects properly, the "parent" is already implied in the NameMapping hierarchy of objects.  If there's a particular problem you're trying to overcome with using that property, perhaps we can help with some alternatives.

DodongAmaw
      New Contributor

I use the parent property to access parent objects and then use their property. This to make sure I use the right object (which is not unique with the exception of a certain parent object).

If this is no longer available in 12.60 then I'd probably have to downgrade. And I am not inclined to use scripts since all my tests are keywordtests.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

The parent property IS available for use in the tests.  You don't need to add the parent property to your mapping to use the parent within the automation itself.  

Additionally, if you map the parent object itself and then put the child object as a descendent in the mapping tree, it will ensure that you're always getting the proper child object.

So... no need to downgrade, just better usage of the objects and namemapping feature.