Forum Discussion

Azeddin_Margani
Contributor
11 years ago

Using TC with Citrix based application.

Can someone please tell me what is the best way to automate Citrix based application using TC9 (i.e. The application I'm trying to test is logged on through Citrix unlike web-based applications where the objects are easily found)

Thanks,

A.M.

3 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi,

Citrix, like the Remote Desktop and similair software, returns to the client only the picture (screenshot) of the server's desktop. Thus, none of the objects of the application running on the server can be recognized and you can either try to use the image search (which is unreliable if your application is executed under different OSes with different color themes) or try 'blind' typing using key shortcuts or any other means to direct typed characters to correct input fields and than again either use image search to check the result or copy data to the clipboard on the server and read them on the client.

In any case none from the above will provide you with a good reliable test and the only option is to install TestComplete on the remote server and execute it there along with the tested application.
  • Alexei is right.
    We evaluated TC10 by installing both the application to be tested and TC10 on the same server and it worked great.
    However we faced some problems with the Object Spy feature where it failed sometimes.

Just update here if you face any such issues.
  • Hi,

An Interesting topic from Azeddin Margani I would like to enlarge to applications tested not only through Citrix Server but also Receiver (Delivered by Citrix Xenapp)

Several applications in the company I work are only accessible through Citrix Receiver. Therefore there is a need to ensure those applications work through the Receiver.

I have tried it, and TC does not manage to detect objects provided by those applications. It only sees the application as one object (class: Transparent Windows CLient).

Is there a way to tell TC to find all objects displayed through Citrix Receiver?

Otherwise Is that possible to install TC on Xenapp server so it can test all applications available through Citrix Receiver? How to do so? The Citrix Receiver displays to the users a simplify desktop with shortcuts to applications. Each application is opened separately as a virtual application.

I have been told that if Citrix Receiver can be started, and the tested application works on the server side, then the tested application shall work through Citrix Receiver. To me this is quick conclusion which does not satisfying me.

Then what is the best solution to test through Citrix Receiver? Use a sniffer between the Citrix Client and the Server to catch the event sent by the Client to the Server?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards

Thomas Brossamain