Forum Discussion

kinsleyd
Contributor
15 years ago

ToURL method

I just upgraded from a demo version of TestComplete to the full enterprise version, and have found that the ToURL method no longer seems to wait for the page to load before the script continues to run.  Its pretty vital that I find a way to return to the time when ToURL waits - anything I can do?

Thanks

8 Replies

• Hi Dave,

The ToUrl method calls the Page.Wait method, and there is a difference in this functionality between the Demo and Enterprise versions of TestComplete. Unfortunately, the algorithm used by TestComplete to wait until a page is completely loaded is not ideal as modern web applications are very dynamic and it can be almost impossible to catch the moment when they are loaded. I recommend that you go through the 'Waiting For Page' help topic containing possible solutions for such applications.

• Here's a line from the help file:

• The ToUrl method belongs to the Page
      object, to window
      objects that contain the Page object and to process
      objects that correspond to Internet Explorer or Firefox. The method is used to
      load a web page in the browser. It automatically “waits” until the specified web
      page is opened.

This method used to work for me.  I have hundreds of lines of script that rely on this method to wait for the page to finish loading.  I do not have time to re write the entirety of my code.  Please advise on how I can get this functionality back.  If I need to some how unlock the demo version so it will not have the restrictions placed on it that would be fine (like the time period and limitations on how much script can be loaded).  I'd be happy to give up the extra features of the enterprise version (like methods no longer working properly).

Thanks
  • Hi Dave,

The Web Testing feature works absolutely similarly in the Demo and Enterprise editions of the tool. If the behavior has changed, most probably, this is caused by a change in the tested application. Other possible causes are a slower Internet connection or faster computer.

As a workaround, you can increase the value of the 'Auto-wait timeout' option in your project. The default value is 10000 ms, and you can increase it, for example, to 30000 ms. This option is located in the Playback option group of the project properties editor. To open the editor, double-click the project node in the 'Project Explorer' panel and switch to the Properties page.

Can you provide us with access to the tested application so we can reproduce this behavior and find the best way to wait until pages in it are completely loaded?

• David,

Nothing changed with the application or the computer the script is running on, but adjusting the timeout did have an impact.  Perhaps that implies that the default values is different between the demo version and the enterprise?  No telling at this point, but its all good now that my code is working again.  Thanks!

Dave
  • Hi Dave,

This is a project-specific option and, therefore, different TestComplete's editions should work with it in the same way. Nevertheless, I am glad that this solves the problem you faced.

• I'm still having issues with waiting for a page to load.  I'm trying the page.wait method now, and I'm uncertain of precisely how to extract what it returns.  For instance:

Sub BasicsFA_RegionSum

BasicsFA_RegionSum

Call iexplore.ToURL(Project.Variables.server & "gsa/webbas01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/Webbase.htm?OpenDocument&Set=1,Scope=RS______,App=Basics__________,Select=P-Active,")

str = iexplore.Page(Project.Variables.server & "gsa/webbas01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/Webbase.htm?OpenDocument&Set=1,Scope=RS______,App=Basics__________,Select=P-Active,").Wait

In the example above, the str variable is indeed getting populated, but with something very different than the URL of the page.  There are frames involved on the pages in question.  I'm uncertain how best to accomplish what I need here.  I was hoping the str variable would return the URL, then I could easily run a compare of it vs. the string of the URL and log the results if they were different, but it seems when set str = iexplore.Page(URL).wait, the .wait bit isn't waiting.  I'm at a loss here.

Any suggestions?  I've tried the technique listed in the help file as follows:

Sub BasicsFA_RegionSum

Dim iexplore

Set iexplore = Aliases.iexplore

call iexplore.ToURL(Project.Variables.server & "gsa/webbas01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/webbase.htm?OpenDocument&Login&Set=1,Scope=PS______,App=Basics__________,Select=P-Active,")

Set pg = iexplore.ToURL(Project.Variables.server & "gsa/webbas01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/Webbase.htm?OpenDocument&Set=1,Scope=RSLU____,App=Basics__________,Select=P-Active,")

' Wait for frames

waitFrm = True

Set Frames = GetFrames(Pg) ' Obtain the frames collection

While waitFrm

For Each Frame In Frames

If Frame.Exists Then

waitFrm = waitFrm And (Frame.readyStateValue <> 4)

End If

Next

If waitFrm Then

aqUtils.Delay 100

End If

WEnd

msgbox ("page loaded")

End Sub

' Obtain the frames collection

Function GetFrames(APage)

GetFrames(APage)

Select Case Options.Web.TreeModel

Case "DOM" Set GetFrames = APage.document.frames ' DOM model

Case "Tag" Set GetFrames = APage.FRAME ' Tag model

Case Else Set GetFrames = APage ' Tree and Hybrid models

End Select

End Function

This only results in the script being caught in an infinite loop even after the page finishes loading (which takes something on the order of 30 seconds).

Thanks!

• Hi Dave,

Try the following code:

Call iexplore.ToURL(Project.Variables.server & "gsa/webbas01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/Webbase.htm?  OpenDocument&Set=1,Scope=RS______,App=Basics__________,Select=P-Active,")

iexplore.Page(Project.Variables.server & "*").Wait

str = iexplore.Page(Project.Variables.server & "*").LocationURL

• I think I finally got it worked out.  After beating my head against the wall about the readystate property, I finally found that it was returning a value of 4 immediately, even while the page was still loading.  So I dug a little deeper in the Object Browser and found the each one of the main frames had a readystate value, but in this case it was a text string - either "loading" or "completed".  So I isolated the frame in question and used it in the loop that checks for its value, and voila - seems to work:

call iexplore.ToURL(Project.Variables.server & "gsa/webbas01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/Webbase.htm?OpenDocument&Set=1,Scope=RSLU____,App=Basics__________,Select=P-Active,")

iexplore.ToURL(.Variables.server & "gsa/webbas01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/Webbase.htm?OpenDocument&Set=1,Scope=RSLU____,App=Basics__________,Select=P-Active,")

set pg1 = iexplore.Page(Project.Variables.server & "gsa/webbas01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/Webbase.htm?OpenDocument&Set=1,Scope=RSLU____,App=Basics__________,Select=P-Active,").Frame("fraMain")

waitFrm = True

While waitFrm

msgbox(pg1.readystate)

waitFrm = waitFrm And (pg1.readyState = "loading")

If waitFrm Then

aqUtils.Delay 100

End If

WEnd

Gotta love that Object Browser!!