Forum Discussion

Largent803
Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

TestComplete keeps losing mapping of objects

I am using the full version of TestComplete and when I setup a test I will get the object setup once when it has been recorded. However, the next time I run the test often times the test will lose the mapping of the same object.

For example I enter a button click the system maps it to buttonkeep in namemapping. However, I will go back with new information with a new set of data that will use the same button click and that click no longer works and the error says the buttonkeep could not be found. I will then remap it and it will go from something like buttonkeep to buttonkeep4.

Something is causing the Testcomplete not to find the mapping of the buttonclicks.

I have found similar problems with other mapping issues.

13 Replies

Largent803
      Contributor

My problem is the object name should not be changing. I can put in new data with a new record within 15 minutes that uses the same data. So the object name doesn't change. In fact the title of the object is the same. In my example the name of object is Keep and it is a button. But somehow it loses this mapping. In this case the test is to copy data from a Word file into a websites textbox. It also does the same with a Excel spreadsheet data. After I paste the data into my textbox the dialog Keep comes up to so that this verified as information that is needed to be kept.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

If the object name needs to be static, then that's something to discuss with your developers.  TestComplete just reads what it finds, it doesn't create the object names.

In the meantime, the wildcards will keep the changing object name from affecting your tests. It's a common need among TestComplete users.