Forum Discussion

azwip
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

TestComplete 12 Upgrade v fresh install... something "different"?

Howdy folks, ok, so, I use contentText quite a bit to identify and perform things with various objects,,, has worked fine... but... what I have found now... is on the systems where I performed an upgrade from TC 11 to TC 12... my scripts where I reference objects defined with the contentText, no longed work?  They blow up my iExplorer browser with errors.

BUT... where I did a fresh install of TC 12.... all works fine an dandy??

So, something is not quite right... environmentally... I must have not done "something" for the systems where I did an upgrade?

Any ideas or suggestions?

We have multiple licenses and systems etc... so I was able to validate this for a few machines and the only common denominator is upgrade, scripts using contentText blow up the app under test... but fresh installs... scripts work as they should.  Weird.

Thanks!

Ron

14 Replies

cunderw
    Community Hero

Define 'Blow Up'

What scripting language are you using? Did you convert from JScript to JavaScript?

Way more information will be needed to figure out what you're seeing. 

azwip
      Occasional Contributor

Hi, sure...

am using VB Scripting... the command is :

If Sys.Browser().FindChild("contentText","Welcome to the team",40).Exists Then

This command has always worked and still does on machines where we did a fresh install vs upgrade.

The error I get is :

The IEXPLORE.EXE process crashed

Am using IE 11

When using chrome, no problem.  

So, if on fresh install of 12, all ok.   

If on upgrade install from 11 to 12, blows up using IE but works with chrome.

Thanks!

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Try a repair. It sounds like the hook into IE isn't registered properly
      azwip
      Occasional Contributor

Howdy again... even better... came in this morning, fired up Test Complete... got message for a new update being available... I accepted and installed same.  No longer have the problem!!!!

So, I immediately went to another of my machines where I had the same problem... again, was prompted for a new update.... took it.. problem solved again!  Fantastic!   Coincidence? I dunno, lol, all I know is my problem is gone.

Thanks SB, ya'll rock!

Thanks also to those that replied, I appreciate it.

Ron