Forum Discussion

nathanginoza
Contributor
3 years ago

Seeing huge resource consumption in TestCompleteService15 (32 bit) causing VM to be unstable

Seeing 90% to 100% CPU usage, this is causing connection to VM to hang.

See this in All VMs where TestComplete / Execute is installed and upgraded and projects upgraded.

Anyone else seeing this blocking issue?

Nathan

14 Replies

tphillips
    Frequent Contributor

What sort of resources are assigned to the VM? What were you doing in TestComplete at the time? What if you close down and restart TestComplete, can you reproduce the behaviour?

Also this is the wrong forum to post this issue in 🙂 it should probably be in TestComplete Questions.

Is this issue also related to the other issue you posted? https://community.smartbear.com/t5/TestComplete-Questions/100-TestCompleteService-usage-even-when-scripts-not-running/m-p/224755/highlight/true#M99572

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

hi nathanginoza 

I combined your two posts since they seem to be related, and I moved them to our new Questions board.  

Once we see your answers for tphillips questions, we can help a little more.  

nathanginoza
      Contributor

Thanks for the response,

Trying to repo, it happen when I ran scripts in the background using system disconnect. 

tphillips
      Frequent Contributor

Can you describe the circumstances under which this happens? What were you doing in TestComplete at the time?

mcbane
      Occasional Contributor

I keep my version of TestComplete up to date. I had not seen this issue until this morning. I killed the service and rebooted to fix it early this morning. It has now happened a second time on my virtual PC. I don't know that I have anything to add. Just wanted to make sure it is known that it's not an isolated incident. Thanks!

Tommy

mcbane
        Occasional Contributor

I just realized that I can clarify some of the questions being asked.

At the end of the day, I reboot my virtual PC so it is fresh the next morning. When I tried to log on to it this morning, it took 5 minutes (as opposed to 5 seconds). TestCompleteService15.exe (32-bit) was using over 95% of the CPU, where the virtual PC rarely sees more than 25-30% usage. TestComplete was NOT running. I killed the service. Rebooted. And was fine.

This afternoon, I was running a test when the usage shot up again. I closed TestComplete, and my virtual PC was still SLOOOOOW. I checked the task manager and it was TestCompleteService15.exe (32-bit) again. I killed it again.

That's about it for now.

mcbane
    Occasional Contributor

Yes. Me, too. It's very infrequent, so I have nothing to go off of what causes it. Maybe once a month--sometimes twice. TestComplete may be open--may be closed. Usually a reboot fixes it, but it cripples my vpc to the point where it takes several minutes to get anything to response to do the reboot.

If I ever figure anything out on my end, I'll let everyone know.

fredsmith
      New Contributor

Hi 

I've seen this issue a lot and traced it back to a conflict between our security tool that does a regular port scan and the TestCompleteService15.exe service running on the machine.

If we step the machines out of the port scans we don't see the issue. 

However, we also don't see the issue if we do have the port scan running regularly and we're running only TestCompleteService14.exe.

Something has changed in this latest version (v15) of the TestCompleteService15.exe that makes it incompatible with our port scanning security tools.

We have an open ticket with SmartBear to get this resolved as there's no way our security team will allow us to step out 20 odd machines in our network that run TestComplete.

Hopefully we'll get a fix soon.

mcbane
        Occasional Contributor

How did this pan out? It appears our port scans are causing the same havoc. 4 VPCs crippled right now. 😁