Forum Discussion

jthompson1
Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Recording is not functional in chrome

Does anyone have a checklist of reasons recording would just stop working when recording a test in chrome? I am aware of the extension, and it is installed into the browser. I made no configuration changes. I ran an update to latest TC is about all I did, and magically recording is not functional now.  I already put in a ticket with support but it appears that fell into a blackhole. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 

• Support got in touch with me and I followed these instructions for both TC14 and TC15 

Instructions:
    1. Copy the path of the TC installer exe to your clipboard by shift+right clicking the file and selecting "Copy as path"
    2. Open cmd as administrator, and paste in the path and add the -cleanup flag (e.g. C:\path\to\TestComplete1493.exe -cleanup)
    3. Wait for the process to finish
    4. Repeat for the other version
    5. Run the installer normally

This cleared up any negative side effects from my update/upgrade. 

5 Replies

• while you're waiting, i think it would be worth it to try repairing TC from the control panel

• Hey there,

In regards to the update you mentioned, was this for TestComplete 15?

If so, this is installed along side of TestComplete 14, not on top of it, essentially as a separate app. If indeed the update was for TestComplete 15, let's start troubleshooting by launching TestComplete 15 from the newly created desktop shortcut or through the Start Menu, verifying that TestComplete 15 launches and letting us know if recording in Chrome is working.

In addition, may you provide the support case number that you created? I'll be happy to have this case investigated for you.

jthompson1
      Contributor

Case #00493400

Yes I could not update to 15 yet as my test execute will not run properly since its on 14... so I was not ready for 15 due to that. I then decided to go back and run the 14 app and yes I started having this issue. 

npaisley
        Staff

Thank you for the update and case #, I can see they are working on an updated response now for you to further investigate this matter.

The good news here is that TestExecute 15 can use the existing TE14 license, so an update should be straight forward for you. This should at least allow you to move forward with the upgrade to TestComplete 15 to get back to testing as soon as possible.

• Support got in touch with me and I followed these instructions for both TC14 and TC15 

Instructions:
    1. Copy the path of the TC installer exe to your clipboard by shift+right clicking the file and selecting "Copy as path"
    2. Open cmd as administrator, and paste in the path and add the -cleanup flag (e.g. C:\path\to\TestComplete1493.exe -cleanup)
    3. Wait for the process to finish
    4. Repeat for the other version
    5. Run the installer normally

This cleared up any negative side effects from my update/upgrade.