Forum Discussion

marin
Frequent Contributor
11 years ago

Questions about object driven testing log tree

Hello all,

I am using object driven testing approach in my project and so far it has proven to be robust and reliable.

However there is a couple of questions that I'd like to ask about logging for ODT scenarios.

1. it seems as if  nested structure and naming of the log for ODT runs can not be influenced. What I'd like to achieve is to have a possibility to give a transparent name to the single ODT runs in the top level of the run logs.

Instead of "Item0" -> "Item16" it would be helpful to see the real test description (which I declared as "ID" property of ODT object) without actually having to drill down to see what the case really was. Is this somehow possible (see screenshot 1)

2. Apparently there is always one additional empty run logged -> without any action. No matter how many runs there are, logged will be always one more (see screenshot 2).

Is this per design?

Many thanks,

Marin

5 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Marin,

Try implementing the OnLogMessage event handler. There, you can catch the "Item3.Run" message and change it to the needed one. Refer to the "OnLogMessage Event" article for details.

marin
    Frequent Contributor
    Hello Tanya,

many thanks for your response, much appreciated.

I like the idea of catching the message before being written to log, but unfortunately it seems as if this particular message level is not being part of the LogParams.

I've implemented the event handler and monitored the LogParams.MessageText property- it will always be only the deeper nested message that is passed there (see screenshot). I can access this level OK and post my own message there already (see blurred line), but I need the access to the "parent" level -> I guess it comes from the ODT object "walker" somehow?

Here script snippet of the part where ODT test object is created (data fetched from an Excel sheet):

/*

Function: CreateData()

Creates data for test runs from Excel file

*/

function CreateData()

{

ODT.Data.Clear();

// Add a group of data sets to be able to add variables used in the test to this group

ODT.Data.AddGroup("RCV");

// Add and customize the variable of the ClsReceiving class

ODT.Data.RCV.AddVariable("CreateItem", ODT.Classes.ClsReceiving);

ODT.Data.RCV.CreateItem.ID = "CreateItem";

ODT.Data.RCV.CreateItem.Methods("Init").IsInit = true;

var inputODTData = DDT.ExcelDriver(strTestDataExcelFile,"ItemData",true);

var counter = 0;

while(!inputODTData.EOF())

{

// Add method to enter values

// Customize operations used to enter values in various controls   

ODT.Data.RCV.CreateItem.Operations.AddItemOfClassType("ClsOperation");

ODT.Data.RCV.CreateItem.Operations(counter).Methods("CreateItem").Enabled = false;

ODT.Data.RCV.CreateItem.Operations(counter).ID = inputODTData.Value("Test Case Comment");

ODT.Data.RCV.CreateItem.Operations(counter).ItemName = inputODTData.Value("Item Name");

ODT.Data.RCV.CreateItem.Operations(counter).Type = inputODTData.Value("Type");

ODT.Data.RCV.CreateItem.Operations(counter).ItemNo = inputODTData.Value("Item No");

ODT.Data.RCV.CreateItem.Operations(counter).ItemGroup = inputODTData.Value("Item Group");

ODT.Data.RCV.CreateItem.Operations(counter).Methods("CreateItem").Enabled = true;

inputODTData.Next();

counter++;

}

DDT.CloseDriver(inputODTData.Name);

}

Is there any other possibility to catch the ItemX.Run message somehow?

Many thanks again,

Marin
      DenisMedvedev
      Contributor

After installation I can not find Object-Driven Testing sample in the <TestComplete Samples>\Common\Object-Driven Testing path.
      You can see a link http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/70428/ Information about this sample describes in the end of the topic.
      Does anybody know where I can find this project.
      I will be grateful for any help, thanks in advance!!!
      My email medvedevdenis12@gmail.com

Manfred_F
        Regular Contributor

I also use ODT and really appreciate it.

To enhance the log, I spent much time to

- suppress useless empty nodes and entrys

- handle known errors and suppress technical errors

- add the caption of controsl (buttons, chkbox, listbox entries)

- apply indentation

- add the method name and parameters to routine calls and item nodes

The approach is to use event procedures and to evaluate the ODT tree. For a given log message, the originating ODT node is determined and its data is used to control and enhance the log.

Determining the ODT node was more complicaed than I thought before, as there are errors in the event mechanism:

- using log.LockEvents disturbs OnLogCreateNode/OnLogCloseNode events

- in some cases, OnLogClose messages are missing and have to be simulated

After all, it does work now very well, see screenshot