Forum Discussion

twhitehouse
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

'Process "ieexplore" stayed in the system after the close command was used."

At seemingly random times in my script, Internet Explorer will remain opened.   I also have a loop to loop through all browsers on the system.  In this loop, 2 internet explorer processes are actually found.  When the first one is not closed all the way, when the script tries to do anything with the second internet explorer, the test fails right there.

This is what I saw in the log:

'Process "ieexplore" stayed in the system after the close command was used."

How can I check for and close any opened Internet Explorer processes?

k_de_boer03
    9 years ago

I use this code to close internet explorer (Jscript):

while(Sys.WaitProcess("iexplore").Exists){
            Sys.Process("iexplore").Close();
    }

It may take a few loops before it actually closes, but I consider it a cleaner more stable way than to abruptly kill the process with Terminate().

8 Replies

k_de_boer03
      Contributor

I use this code to close internet explorer (Jscript):

while(Sys.WaitProcess("iexplore").Exists){
              Sys.Process("iexplore").Close();
      }

It may take a few loops before it actually closes, but I consider it a cleaner more stable way than to abruptly kill the process with Terminate().

twhitehouse
        Contributor

I will give that a shot.

I ended up adding a delay and this allowed IE to finish closing I would assume:

aqUtils.Delay 5000

However, this is good to know in case the delay solution does not work out.  I may also end up adding this anyways as a back up.

twhitehouse
      Contributor

This would be a nice catch all if IE was being stubborn, which it might be...lol.  Thanks!

Colin_McCrae
        Community Hero

The drawback I can see with k_de_boer03's approach is that it could get stuck in an eternal loop if IE resolutely refused to close. I really try and avoid anything in a test which can result in an endless loop. Especially in large, long running test suites.

Something like that, I would have a secondary exit clause in the loop. Either time, number of attempts, or both. If it exited due to the secondary clause, then I would attempt to kill the process. If that also failed, I would then stop the test.