Ask a Question

Pro-Tip: Don't forget - You are testers

tristaanogre
Esteemed Contributor

Pro-Tip: Don't forget - You are testers

Hopefully a brief one:

While much automated testing gets its biggest ROI from being regression tests, there is an aspect of the process of test automation that I think gets missed sometimes.  Frequently, people tasked with automating tests for an application get focused on getting the tests to run, making sure that you cover all contingencies, etc.  And this is laudable stuff.  But in the process don't forget:

You are a tester.

If it doesn't make sense, report it.

If the behavior doesn't seem right, report it.

If the application is clunky and unweildy and not user friendly, report it.

Basically, don't forget that, as you're digging in and trying to get that drop down list to click or figure out how to map that obscure component, you are a tester and one of the first lines of defense of the application before the end user sees it.  Too many times I've seen folks write a bit of automation to make the test run well when, in fact, what they were doing is masking something in automation code that really is a bug.  It doesn't do you any good to automate a bad application implementation.  

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
2 REPLIES 2
Marsha_R
Community Hero

If it doesn't make sense, report it.

If the behavior doesn't seem right, report it.

If the application is clunky and unweildy and not user friendly, report it.

This this this always this!  Tickets are free.  Create piles of them if necessary. You may be the first person to look at the app who hasn't been staring at it for weeks and can see the typos or find that the tab order sucks or some other thing that got overlooked.   You may also be the last one to look at it before it gets released.

You may not be the one who decides if the issues get fixed or not, but reporting every one you see can keep headaches from happening later.

Marsha_R
[Community Hero]
____
[Community Heroes] are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Posts made by [Community Heroes]
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
The [Community Hero] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
https://community.smartbear.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hall-of-fame

> You may not be the one who decides if the issues get fixed or not, but reporting every one you see can keep headaches from happening later.

Yes, exactly so!

One of the tester's responsibilities is to provide the management with the information about application's state. And it is management's (or stakeholders' if you like) responsibility to make the motivated but not blind decision whether or not the application may be released.

(This is how I see it for the perfect world 🙂 )

Regards,
  /Alex [Community Hero]
____
[Community Heroes] are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Posts made by [Community Heroes]
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
The [Community Hero] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
https://community.smartbear.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hall-of-fame
================================
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: