Forum Discussion

rpd
Contributor
7 years ago

Post message that remains after breakpoint is activated

I would like to display a message that REMAINS VISIBLE on the screen once the BREAKPOINT in the next Test Step is activated. Currently, by using the Delay operation in a keyword test case, I can specify a message to be displayed during the time that was specified in the Delay operation. However, once that period of time expires, the Breakpoint in the next test step is executed AND, once that occurs, the message that was displayed by the Delay operation is OVERWRITTEN by the standard message for the Breakpoint, which is "Playback Paused".

I tried adding a description to the breakpoint but that does not affect the Breakpoint message of "Playback Paused".  I also tried using the Push Indicator operation, but although that message is posted, it is quickly OVERWRITTEN by the Breakpoint message.

Another alternative would be to add a Run Script operation and start an external program, like NOTEPAD, and POST the message in the NOTEPAD window. However, I was hoping that Test Complete had a better way to post this message.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

3 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

The description of what do you like to get as a result and what for might help...

rpd
    Contributor

Thank you for your response.

Let me be more specific. I have a Keyword testcase that tests that I want to be more flexible in having different types of tester input WITHOUT having to change the testcase. For example, assume you that are testing the window of a tax application in which has has the ability to show the monthly tax periods for the last 5 years. Since there 60 tax periods in 5 years, the window is designed to show the most recent 12 tax periods, However, if an older tax period must be edited, there is another button that allows use to display the next 12 older tax periods. At the bottom of this window, there is a EDIT button which allows you to edit the data associated with a tax period. Also, assume that depending on the taxpayer account you are logged in under, some tax periods may be available for editing and others may not. Since you do not know before the testcase is executed, which tax periods will be available for editing, you place a breakpoint in the testcase to PAUSE the testcase  on the statement which clicks on the EDIT button. (For the sake of this example, also assume that it is NOT possible for Test Complete to determine the INDEX of the selected tax period automatically. The tester must place the CURSOR on the line of the tax period to be edited, and then press the EDIT button.)

In order to help the tester know what to do next, you want to post a message, NOT to the TestComplete Log, but to the system on which the tax application is running. I was hoping that Test Complete would have a POP-UP WINDOW feature that would allow this message, which would remind the tester what should be done next, to be posted. However, as I stated in my original post, I tried the INDICATOR feature but that message is displayed too quickly and the message associated with the testcase executing the BREAKPOINT overwrites that message as well. I want this message to remain visible until the tester manually closes the window.

As a workaround, I just created a simple Notepad keyword test that posts the desired message in a Notepad window and I just call that Notepad keyword test right before the breakpoint is executed in the main application test.

I realize that leaving the breakpoint in the application test makes that test semi-automatic since manual intervention is now required when running that test. However, not REQUIRING the tester to know all possible testcase inputs PRIOR to creating the test, gives the tester more flexibility in dealing with applications where the actual, specific situation that may occur while running a test is NOT KNOWN beforehand. It also allows the tester more flexibility in selecting the tax accounts that need to be worked on, which, in turn, makes the testcase more flexible in dealing with different tax accounts.

Does this description help describe what I am looking for?