Forum Discussion

katleemn
New Contributor
15 years ago

Object Required dbConnection

We're new to TestComplete and are trying to bring as much of our existing architecture over as possible.

We use an MS-Access back end for data, and I'm right now writing and calling a sub that opens a connection to that database.  The OPEN_CONNECTION function is called from another script (using the USEUNIT statement) and is not erroring.  When I try to query that database, however, I get an exception error:  Object Required dbConnection.

The last line of code is the one erroring - can anyone help me figure this out?  Oh, I have tried defining dbConnection within the GET_DATA, Main, and the Common.OPEN_CONNECTION functions, but it doesn't appear to help.  Thanks in advance for your help with a newbie question!

'USEUNIT Common

Sub Main

GET_DATA

End Sub

Sub GET_DATA

Common.OPEN_CONNECTION   

VI_TESTSET = "CSS001"

Log.Message("Test Set is: " & VI_TESTSET)

Set rsTestSetDB = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Set rsTestSetDB = dbConnection.Execute("SELECT * FROM TestSets WHERE TestSetID LIKE '" & VI_TESTSET & "%%% ' " & "ORDER BY TestSetID")  

End Sub

1 Reply

• Hello Kathryn 

Your dbConnection should be a global variable when you are defining it in one script and using it in another script.

Try this

Set dbConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

dbConnection.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.3.51;" & "Data Source=C:\MyTestData.mdb"

dbConnection.Open

Set Cmd = CreateObject("ADODB.Command")

Cmd.ActiveConnection = dbConnection

Cmd.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM TestSets WHERE TestSetID LIKE '"
    & VI_TESTSET & "%%% ' " & "ORDER BY TestSetID
    "

Cmd.CommandType = adCmdText

Set rsTestSetDB= Cmd.Execute

Thankyou