Ask a Question

Mapping file is to large (+-400M)

odedma
Contributor

Mapping file is to large (+-400M)

Hi,

the mapping file got to a Huge size of about 400M.

this causes the TestComplete when loading it to get to a HUGE size of 3.4GB.

is there way to know what is taking so much size ?

this also causes Testcomplete to crash and also take along time to load and save ... 

do you have any suggestions ?

p.s.

there are no recording only object mapping (and also not allot of objects ...)

thank's 

Oded.
11 REPLIES 11
TanyaYatskovska
Community Manager

RE: Mapping file is to large (+-400M)

Hi Oded,

To reduce the size of the Name Mapping file, set the Store Code Completion information option to None. Read the "Project Properties - Name Mapping Options" article for details.

---------
Tanya Yatskovskaya
SmartBear Community and Education Manager

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
dayne_carolina
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

my NameMapping file is also getting bigger (130MB), and my project suite takes 10 - 20 minutes to open, is the file size related to the time that the suite takes to open?

Machine conf.:

Intel core 2 due 2.96GHz

2GB RAM

Thanks.
TanyaYatskovska
Community Manager

Hi Dayne,

130 MB is quite a big size for the Name Mapping file. Have you tried modifying the Store Code Completion information option to reduce it?

---------
Tanya Yatskovskaya

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
dayne_carolina
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Tanya,

I'll give it a try.

Do you have any guess about how it happened?

I basically started a new project suite with the same steps as this suite, and the name mapping is about 3MB.

Also, what is the "ideal" name mapping size?

Thanks!
TanyaYatskovska
Community Manager

Hi Dayne,

I suppose the Store Code Completion information option is set to Full in your project. This makes TestComplete save a lot of information about each mapped object. Storing this information may significantly increase the file size. Actually, the Name Mapping file is a common XML file. Of course, its size will depend on how much information you will store in it.

---------
Tanya Yatskovskaya

shegde001
Visitor

Re: RE: Mapping file is to large (+-400M)

Hi,

We are using the option "Do not store the code completion data" in Name Mapping, however, our Name Mapping size has now become 568 MB. Is that usual? how can i reduce the NM size.

randy_1
New Contributor

We are also experiencing this issue in TC 11. We have the "Do not store Code Completion data" active but our file size is still 400MB and has a difficult time loading on our test machines. Here are our errors when opening, "Out of Memory" and "Catastrophic Failure":

OutOfMemory.png

OutOfMemory.png

Also, the link you gave is broken.

Colin_McCrae
Community Hero

How are you guys mapping?

Are you using the automatic/capture everything method? (Which creates a name map and alias map - which are identical) for everything? It's a very wasteful way of mapping objects.

I've just checked the name map (manual mapping and Alias creation) for the Delphi application I'm working on and it's 566kb.

A couple of web applications come in at 785kb and 400kb.

My code complete setting is "Store brief Code Completion data". I'm still using TC 10.6.

randy_1
New Contributor

We are using templates to capture only the unique properties of objects we are adding to the map.  After looking into our name map a little bit deeper, we found that the line below had been added to our name map ~2.5 million times. Deleting these lines reduced the name map to around 3,000 KB, which is much more manageable. I believe that there might be a bug in how TestComplete handles the name map in the repository.

Child_Hash.png

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: