Forum Discussion

stref
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Keyword Description column should blanked out when Value column is assigned

I think the Description column within a Keyword test should get reset if the Value column is changed. For example, when you record a Keyword test it will capture something like:

"Sets the text 'santa cruz' in the 'textboxCtl00Contentplaceholder1F' text editor."

Then I change the test to be data driven and now the value reads:

DDT.CurrentDriver.Value("City")

The description now no longer matches what's happening in that step and thus it should be cleared.

-Steve

4 Replies

• Hello Steve,

Thanks for bringing out attention to this issue. We will see what can be done about this.

• That "feature" would be very inconvenient to anyone who doesn't use the description field in that way. In fact, I would go further and say that it should not be used that way; for the very reason you've stated, but also because it is redundant. The value is right there in the other column, so why duplicate it in the description? Just write the description in a more generic manner, and if you choose not to then you should take responsibility for keeping it up to date yourself.

EDIT: I should note that I have only ever used Keyword tests that I have built myself, and in which I have had full control over what goes into the description field. It occurs to me now that Steve was probably referring to descriptions that are automatically generated during recording. If that is the case, then it is the automatically generated descriptions that should be more generic.

• Hi Steve and Tony,

Thanks for giving your points in this discussion - all of them are quite reasonable.

We will take your positions into account when making the final decision.