Forum Discussion

sirping
Occasional Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

How to get XPath in Script from Alias

How do I get the XPath from an Alias in a Python Script. So not the full path but ONLY the XPath that it is actually mapped to. 

So not alias.Name wich would result in: "FindElement('xpath=//fro-input-wrapper[contains(@data-testid, \"FREQUENCY\")]//input')"

But only the XPath, so like: "//fro-input-wrapper[contains(@data-testid, \"FREQUENCY\")]//input"

• mikef We only use the "data-testid" tag. So we only have one selector for every object that we map. But since TestComplete does apparently not support a good answer to the question I asked, I wrote my own script for that purpose. For anyone interested here it is.

def get_alias_xpath(alias):
        TimeoutValue = Options.Run.Timeout
        Options.Run.Timeout = 0
        tmp = alias.Name
        xpath = tmp[13::]
        aliasxpath = xpath[:-2].replace("xpath=", "").replace('\"', '"')
        Options.Run.Timeout = TimeoutValue
        return aliasxpath

2 Replies

• Hi sirping 

Do you want to know which selector was used in a particular interaction? This is posted to the Log for each step.

Bear in mind also, the functionality of TestComplete NameMapping collects one-or-more XPath OR CSS selectors for an Alias, so it isn't a one-to-one property.

Regards

Mike

sirping
      Occasional Contributor

mikef We only use the "data-testid" tag. So we only have one selector for every object that we map. But since TestComplete does apparently not support a good answer to the question I asked, I wrote my own script for that purpose. For anyone interested here it is.

def get_alias_xpath(alias):
          TimeoutValue = Options.Run.Timeout
          Options.Run.Timeout = 0
          tmp = alias.Name
          xpath = tmp[13::]
          aliasxpath = xpath[:-2].replace("xpath=", "").replace('\"', '"')
          Options.Run.Timeout = TimeoutValue
          return aliasxpath