Forum Discussion

magiclantern
New Contributor
9 years ago

Does TestComplete support touch events for Windows 8.1?

I have a kiosk (no keyboard, no mouse) that presents users with a web page and allows them to enter information/view information. I'm using Internet Explorer 11 (32-bit) on Windows 8.1

As this is a kiosk, there are no mouse nor keyboard events in my web application. The script recorder in TestComplete 11 does not register touch events. Is this an issue with the test recorder? Is there a setting that needs to change in order for touch events to register?

5 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

AFAIK, touch events for desktop applications are not supported in TestComplete. In addition to support ticket recommended by Marsha, you may also post a suggestion using http://community.smartbear.com/t5/TestComplete-Feature-Requests/idb-p/TestXCompleteFeatureRequests board.

However, while this is not implemented, I think that it is perfectly acceptable to test the application using regular events like mouse clicks, double-clicks, drags, etc.

I think so because support for touches is a built-in functionality of OS and from the end-user point of view, touches are functionally equivalent to mouse clicks. As the goal of your testing is to check functionality of the tested application but not how touch events work in OS, substitution of touch events with mouse events looks quite acceptable to me.

magiclantern
      New Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation on feature request. I'm waiting to hear back from Sales or Support the final word on touch support.

While it is true that simple touch events can be mapped to mouse clicks, not all touch events can be. Conflating touch events such as pinch zoom, multi-touch, and length of tap to simple mouse clicks is not a clear cut task. Even if you are limiting yourself to W3C touch events (http://www.w3.org/TR/touch-events/#list-of-touchevent-types) there is differring level of support across browsers, js libraries, etc.