Forum Discussion

morde
Contributor
10 years ago

Creating Keyword Tests based on CSV files

Hello.

I have some CSV files with the following columns:

StepNumber; StepType ("item" or "function"); ObjectFullName (based on the "aliases"); Operation (eg. Click); OutputParameter; InputParameters; (And some irrelevant columns)

So far I used these files for running the tests in a loop (while there are more CSV rows, execute the next row's command). 

Now, I would like to convert these files into actual KDT files (which look and act the same as a Keyword Test record). Is there a way to do so?

Thanks.

Mor.

5 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Mor,

There is no built-in way to convert your CSV to TestComplete's KDT. You need to record a keyword test based on the steps from your CSV file.

Another approach can work if you are migrating tests from TestComplete 9 to 10: the main idea is while you are executing your current tests (reading CSV files, etc.) on TestComplete 9, TestComplete 10 will be recording all the actions over the tested app. As a result, you will get the automatically recorded keyword tests that execute all steps from your file. 

• Hi Tanya, The migraton option sounds interesting and I would like to try that. But first, I need to make sure:

1. My CSV contains commands, which are being interpreted to a script and than gets executed. Just to make sure we're talking about the same process: this running script will be generated to a KDT even if it was executed by a script?

2. In which point in this process it's recommended to upgrade to TC 10 ?

3. Is there a manual or step-guide I can assist for this process?

Thanks.

Mor
    TanyaYatskovska
    Hi Mor,

Look at this diagram that demonstrates this approach:

TestComplete 9 and TestComplete 10 should work at the same time: TC 9 executes your current tests, TC 10 records the GUI actions. There is no way to launch several instances of one major TestComplete version (v.9). That's why I was talking about the product upgrading - only during it you can use several TestComplete versions.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

• Hi again.

With a floating license with 1 license manager, Is it possible to have both 9.31 and 10 version activated?

Thanks.
    TanyaYatskovska
    Hi Mor,

TC 9 and TC 10 can be activated on one License Manager PC. However, the usage of both versions is allowed only during the specific period while you are migrating your tests.