Ask a Question

Can log location in TestExecute be changed?

Jaswanth
Occasional Contributor

Can log location in TestExecute be changed?

Similar to how log location can be changed manually in TestComplete(RightClick on project->Edit->Properties->General->Log location).Can a similar change be done from the front end for TestExecute?

6 REPLIES 6
Marsha_R
Community Hero

Re: Can log location in TestExecute be changed?

Jaswanth
Occasional Contributor

In TestComplete, we have the option of changing the log location before we start execution. Is the same possible via TestExecute?  In TestExecute, I believe we can only export the results to a new location after execution completes.

Marsha_R
Community Hero

Did you try the instructions in the link I posted?  

AlexKaras
Community Hero

Hi,

TestExecute is a runtime engine to just execute tests. All test settings, including logs location are stored in the test project file (.mds). TestExecute does not provide means to manage settings in the .mds file, only TestComplete does.

Besides the link provided by Marsha, this one might appear to be useful as well: https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/teamwork/sharing-projects.html

Regards,
  /Alex [Community Hero]
____
[Community Heroes] are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Posts made by [Community Heroes]
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
The [Community Hero] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
https://community.smartbear.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hall-of-fame
================================
tristaanogre
Community Hero

@Jaswanth wrote:

Similar to how log location can be changed manually in TestComplete(RightClick on project->Edit->Properties->General->Log location).Can a similar change be done from the front end for TestExecute?

Log location is a project property that is set in the MDS file for the project.  It is ready in at run time and cannot be altered in code.  If you want the log location of your test log to be someplace else, that is part of the initial project configuration.  It can be a relative path (in fact, by default, it is a relative path to the MDS file location).  

TestExecute, by it's nature, is only a runner... it runs the projects.  It cannot edit project code... and while the log location isn't exactly "code", it's part of the project that can be edited... therefore, there is no front end.  Log.Path will give an output... but it's read only.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
cunderw
Community Hero

I also recommend looking at https://support.smartbear.com/testexecute/docs/running/automating/command-line/command-line.html if you wanto automate exporting the logs.

Thanks,
Carson

Click the Accept as Solution button if my answer has helped
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: