Forum Discussion

cdosreis
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Can I test a web page using testcomplete and Docker

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to test web pages using Docker and testcomplete? I know we can do it with a floating license and virtual machine. Therefore, I am guessing it also works. I have seen the only post about testing on a DB & Docker but I don’t want to test the same!

cdosreis
    6 years ago

Hi all,

My intentions were to avoid using VM to have different scenarios with browsers and OS versions (win 7 with IE, Chrome.. Win 8 with IE, Chrome...) to test. I was hoping that docker will do that for me, but I wasn't aware of how docker really works. I wanted I graphic enviroment and it seams that docker per se doesn't have it. After watching the video (below) I undertand or possible assume that you can use docker and TC; but not the way I wanted to use it. I have a test server for the apps

Anyway thanks for you time and collaboration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp58Osb1uFo

11 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

Can you describe your idea with more details?

According to my knowledge, Docker is intended to virtualize Linux-based systems while TestComplete can be installed only under Windows. So this will not work.

If you are going to deploy your web application to Docker-based image, you should be able to test this application using TestComplete installed on some other Windows machine making your Docker system accessible via http to the system with TestComplete.

cdosreis
      Occasional Contributor

Hi,

In theory with docker you can work also with win10 or windows server 2016. You can use a Hyper-V container to work with win.
      I need something lighter than a VM to test Web app with differents configurations.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

> win10 or windows server 2016.

So, you are talking not about Docker but about Docker-like implementation from MS?

However, anyway:

-- TestComplete can be installed on the Windows system only;

-- TestComplete must be installed on the same system where the tested application is installed;

-- In case of the web application, the above means that the browser from the system with TestComplete must be able to access web server and it is irrelevant where and on what system this web server is installed at.

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi All,

I'm just trying to understand what our final decision is.

If Docker allows installing Microsoft OSes, you can install TestComplete on it. You will need to have a Floating-User license to run tests anyway.

Is this correct?

AlexKaras
      Champion Level 3

Hi Tanya,

It is my understanding that Docker itself is essentially Linux-based and Linux-specific architecture and thus it is not possible to install any Windows application on it. (Well, we are not talking about the case when some Windows emulator is installed in Docker.)

Microsoft provides pretty similair functionality for Windows, but internally, due to the architectural differences, they differ quite a lot.

It is possible, that Windows can run Docker images. (Maybe, within some Linux emulator.) But this still does not enable TestComplete installation within Docker.

Everyone is welcome to correct me if I am wrong at some point.

cdosreis
        Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

My intentions were to avoid using VM to have different scenarios with browsers and OS versions (win 7 with IE, Chrome.. Win 8 with IE, Chrome...) to test. I was hoping that docker will do that for me, but I wasn't aware of how docker really works. I wanted I graphic enviroment and it seams that docker per se doesn't have it. After watching the video (below) I undertand or possible assume that you can use docker and TC; but not the way I wanted to use it. I have a test server for the apps

Anyway thanks for you time and collaboration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp58Osb1uFo