Forum Discussion

herbie68nl
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Can I push a set of lines to execute in SQL instead of line by line

I Use VB Script

I recorded a trace file using the SQL profiler. This gives me all "exec ...." (stored) procedures that are executed by my desktop application.

Now I want to reuse tose lines so I can simulate the load without using the desktop client of the application

But as far as I found out now, I only can execute those lines one by one

Sub Test1()
  Dim arrTraceLine(4), numCount
  Set aTable = ADO.CreateADOQuery
  aTable.ConnectionString = "<Connection String>"

arrTraceLine(0)= "exec dbo.<SP_Name1> @a_field1=N'100',@a_field2_t=N'9999999999',@a_field3_v=N''"

arrTraceLine(1)= "exec dbo.<SP_Name2> @a_field1=100,@a_field2=212102,@a_field3_t=N'9999'"

arrTraceLine(2)= "exec dba.<DB_Name3> @field1=100,@field2=NULL,@field3=NULL,@field4=N'1"
  arrTraceLine(3)= "exec dbo.<SP_Name3> @a_field1=1,@a_field2=87,@a_field3=N'',@a_field4=2"

For numCount = 0 to 3
    aTable.SQL = arrTraceLine(numCount)
    aTable.ExecSQL
  Next
End Sub

In this Case I would prefer to push the TraceLines as one complete batch

For Example

aTable.SQL = "exec dbo.<SP_Name1> @a_field1=N'100',@a_field2_t=N'9999999999',@a_field3_v=N'' " &_

"exec dbo.<SP_Name2> @a_field1=100,@a_field2=212102,@a_field3_t=N'9999' " &_

"exec dba.<DB_Name3> @field1=100,@field2=NULL,@field3=NULL,@field4=N'1 " &_
               "exec dbo.<SP_Name3> @a_field1=1,@a_field2=87,@a_field3=N'',@a_field4=2"

atable.ExecuteSQL

This way I hope for a more readable Trace as result.

I think I need another option for  ADO.CreateADOQuery But What do I fhave to use.

I also tried ADO.CreateADOStoredProc But I have to split up each parameter in name, type and value this makes the script not very readable.

Can someone help me

• Hi Herbie68nl,

As far as I understand, you want to pass several SQL requests at once. This is impossible in ADO.

You need to think on how to change your request so that it selects all data you need, but in one call.

3 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Herbie68nl,

As far as I understand, you want to pass several SQL requests at once. This is impossible in ADO.

You need to think on how to change your request so that it selects all data you need, but in one call.

herbie68nl
      Occasional Contributor

Thank you Tanya for your answer.

I already thaougt about this. But cound find a way to do this. We want to simulate the load to SQL from our application, and therefore I need to do it this way. 

But 'Can't be done' is also an answer and maybe it is the most clear answer of all. We are arleady searching for other tools where we can do this kind of testing.

TanyaYatskovska
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

This behavior isn’t related to TestComplete. You use ADO in this sample. This is one of the main specifics of ADO. If you want to test the load of your SQL server, I would suggest that you look at TestComplete’s Distributed Testing feature. Instead of executing the requests one by one (as you currently do), you can execute them simultaneously. I’m not familiar with your requirements, but that sounds reasonable for me.