nebsta
Contributor
8 years ago
Implemented

Labelling/Categorising Tests

It would be useful for me if TestComplete supported labeling (or categories) for tests.  Most of my tests are regression, however some are security/permissions tests. The permissions tests are long running and I would like to clearly identify them as such using a label or category. It could then be possible to run all tests with a particular label or category in a project that would usually be disabled on a standard test run.

6 Comments

ml
    Contributor

Tagging would be also a good idea.

Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor

You can run them via keyword test and organize them under folders withing the project explorer.

Example:

1.PNG

• Ryan_Moran

Thanks for the suggestion. Folders work well for organising tests but being able to tag test would mean you would be able to add multiple tags e.g. adding the following tags to the same keyword test 'FunctionalTest' and 'PermissionsTest'. You could then view all items with a single tag or a set of tags.

• nebsta wrote:

It would be useful for me if TestComplete supported labeling (or categories) for tests.  Most of my tests are regression, however some are security/permissions tests. The permissions tests are long running and I would like to clearly identify them as such using a label or category. It could then be possible to run all tests with a particular label or category in a project that would usually be disabled on a standard test run.

I totaly agree.

Additionally, I do not understand how testcomplete is not offering the possibility to list all test associated to a specific topic, test level, functionality,...

As support replied me, it is indeed possible to group tests together (via Project/TestItems), but it is not offering same flexibility as tagging would.

Why groups are not fitting my needs? :

1) Grouping test together is implying that, if you run daily, regression test group, integration test group, critical test group, you will probably run several times the same tests. (without thinking about creating groups depending on the topic, functionality or even just screens)

2) Grouping tests together means as well that, in one year, if you identify need for a new group you will have to go through all existing test cases to validate that they are part of it or not.

That is why I am missing an important feature in this tool.

I need to easily list all test cases which will be part of a test execution plan, in order to provide it to Continuous Integration Team and to run them in the shortest period of time (which means without unwanted multiple runs of same TC). I would like as well to be able to label a particullar set of tests (in opposition with populating a defined group with tests)

A quick win could be to implement a new feature in Project/TestItems to offer the possilbity to specify that a test execution will execute each test case only once even if existing in multiple groups. (I have the impression that main difficulty will be to introduce a kind of test execution plan notion)

• Status changed:
    Selected for Development
    to
    Implemented

Hello,

This functionality has been implemented in TestComplete 14.20. Please see the Tags help topic for more information.