Forum Discussion

jonrey
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Random Date Project Property

Hello all!   I'm hoping that somebody can help me with this request - I'm a complete novice at this type of coding.  I need to create a Project Property variable to randomize a date in my Soap Requ...
    rupert_anderson
    9 years ago

Hi,

You're welcome, happy to help! :-)

I'm not sure, but think the 00:00:00 is the HH:MM:SS part of the XML DateTime datatype e.g.

<startdate>2002-05-30T09:00:00</startdate>

see http://www.w3schools.com/schema/schema_dtypes_date.asp

Are you using a SOAP or XML request with that data type? If so, it will probably force your date to include the time portion.

Cheers,

Rup

rupert_anderson
    9 years ago

Hi,

Don't worry, I'm happy to help and wondered if you might also want to know how to use the script inline as a property expansion, as its more of a mouthful than the first expression was!

I think the short answer is (use semicolons to separate the statements when using inline):

${=def now = new Date().parse("yy-MM-dd", "14-06-01");now.month = 6 + new Random().nextInt(18);now.format("yy-MM-dd")}

But, personally, especially for larger scripts I don't do this as it isn't very readable. Instead I would simply add a Groovy TestStep before your Test Request TestStep and then add the result to a property on the (TestCase) 'context' e.g.

def now = new Date().parse("yy-MM-dd", "14-06-01")
    now.month = 6 + new Random().nextInt(18)
    context["randomDate"] = now.format("yy-MM-dd")

Then in the Test Request TestStep, all you need to reference and insert the value is:

${=randomDate}

(this method may serve you better in the future)

Make sense?

Cheers,

Rup