Forum Discussion

gordillo_ramon
Contributor
13 years ago
Solved

REST Property Expansion

Hi all.

I have tried to use the property expansion in a POST REST request, in the body part, but every time I get the property unexpanded, just the literal "${..."

I get the same property expanded in the headers. Is it possible to use it in the body?

TIA.

Ramon
  • Normally a JsonPath expression must start with the '$' operator, except assertions seem to be processed in a slightly different way.  Does this expression work?

${TestStepName#Response#$..id[1]}  

5 Replies

balak84
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

Data can be read from the properties on to the Rest Test Request's body.

Example:

"Age": "${#Project#User-Age}"

Here,

On the Rest Test request, the field Age is allocated the value held by the << User-Age >> variable of the Custom Properties of the Project. (Similarly, the value can retrieved from Test Case/Test Request properties as well)

Assuming,

<< User-Age >> variable of the Custom Properties of the Project holds the value 23,

Then the result post the execution will be,

"Age": "23"

This can be seen in the Raw tab post the completion of the run of the test step.

Regards.
  • Hi.

I know how to set up the property expansion. If you read my post, I got it done in the header parameters.

Anyway, I have upgraded to 4.5, and the issue is fixed.

Regards
  • I am currently using Soap UI v5.3, and am also having this issue.  I am unable to locate a solution to this issue of TestStep property expansion failing when used in the POST body.  Can anyone suggest how to correct?

Ex:  ${TestStepName#Response#.id[1]}  

This returns blank when used in the POST body of the REST call (as seen when viewing the Raw tab), but returns a valid value if used either in the Header or an Assertion.  Please advise.  

Thanks in advance.

PaulMS
      Super Contributor

Normally a JsonPath expression must start with the '$' operator, except assertions seem to be processed in a slightly different way.  Does this expression work?

${TestStepName#Response#$..id[1]}  

popea18

Excellent!  That was the problem.  Thank you for your time!