Forum Discussion

jamescollett
Contributor
9 years ago

Can I perform assert with the free edition?

I am using SoapUI 5.1.2.

I am testing the behaviour of a RESTful web service that I have developed. I have a set of test steps, each firing a request at the service. I know what the values should be in the response (which is XML).

I shoud like to define some assertions so that I can run the test and get green/red lights against the steps. The Getting Started pages and video I found on the soapui.org website give instructions on how to achieve this but they also seem to suggest the feature is available only in the NG version of the product.

Is the feature just not available in the free edition?

Thanks.

5 Replies

rupert_anderson
    Valued Contributor

Hi James,

If I'm understanding you right, are you asking whether open-source SoapUI can perform Assertions as part of TestSteps or wether this is limted to the commercial version? If you are, then its probably fair to say that the open source version can do most of the same Assertions as the commercial version, and can can use Script Assertions to cover any gaps. Sorry if you knew this already.

Is it more that you were wondering what the best way to do XML content Assertions on a REST Request Test Step is?

If so, depending on exactly what you want to assert, I would say XPath Assertions and Script Assertions (I tend to prefer these as I like Groovy scripts!) are what I tend to go for - do you have a particular XML response that you need help asserting stuff for? 

Cheers,

Rupert

jamescollett
      Contributor

Rupert,

Thanks for your response. You have referred to a bunch of features I know nothing about, so I have more to learn....

However, my question came from watching one of the How-To videos on the SoapUI website. The video advised to do some actions but the features were not available in the free version of SoapUI that I am running, so I was stuck. I noticed a caveat which essentially said the instructons related to the Pro version.

I wanted to test that I was getting certain errors back from my RESTful web service in response to certain calls. 

In response to others, I wanted to validate the XML content.

I could achieve neither of these tests.

Thanks,

-James.