Forum Discussion

jovyjigs
Occasional Contributor
3 years ago

.dat files in <User Folder>\.readyapi\data

I see a lot of .dat files under . <User Folder>\.readyapi\data. Does anyone know what these files are?

3 Replies

richie
    Community Hero

Hey jovyjigs 

I'm intrigued - I don't actually know the answer - so I navigated to my C:\Users\>userFolder>\.readyapi\data - but my directory is completely empty!

Have you had a look inside the .dat files to see what the content is?

That might give you some indication - but I can't give you more than that cos 1.  I don't know the answer and 2. I've got no .dat files to check!

Question:  When you install a new version of ReadyAPI - do you upgrade the existing installation or install in a new directory?  I always install into a new directory and I'm wondering if perhaps a previous version wrote out .dat files to the directory, but for v3.20 (which is what I have), things have changed......that's a total guess on my part and I'm more likely completely incorrect - I normally am! 😉

Nice one!

Rich

jovyjigs
      Occasional Contributor

The content of .dat files is encrypted. So I cannot interpret what it has. richie Attaching a screen shot of single file for reference.

richie
        Community Hero
        Hey jovyjigs,

The files arent encrypted despite what it looks like.

What sort of authentication do you have in your ReadyAPI projects. Im guessing its not just basic auth, right?

I "think" (total guess here) that whatever project in your ReadyAPI is usinf something like json web token or some version of OAuth etc.

All the projects i have in ReadyAPI that either use OAuth in some way generate a token value that starts off 'eyJ'

As i said before, this is a total guess on my part, but i think these are token values and they are being persisted in these .dat files.

I dont have a current ReadyAPI project which uses OAuth to check, but without any other info to go on, that's what im leaning towards (despite not really understanding why a token value would be persisted like this....) i think its stored in you windows profile in these .dat files

Cheers

Rich