Ask a Question

Reading SOAP Request Attachment using Groovy

SOLVED
jdario
Occasional Contributor

Reading SOAP Request Attachment using Groovy

Hello, 

I have a SOAP request with an attachment. I'm trying to read the attachment, generate it's SHA-256 hash, and put the value in the request before sending. I've found various snippets of each step in the community, but nothing seems to work. 

This is what I have so far in my Groovy script:

import java.security.MessageDigest

def attachment = testRunner.testCase.testSteps['SOAP Request'].httpRequest.getAttachmentAt(0).data
def digest = MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA-256")
def sha256 = { var.java.security.MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA-256").digest(attachment).toString()}

The result I get is: "Script-result: Script54$_run_closure1@6fa2bce9"

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
aaronpliu
Frequent Contributor

you defined a closure, if no parameter input, would use {-> }, and then call it sha256.call()

Olga_T
SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestion, @aaronpliu.

@jdario have you tried the above tip?  Does it help? If so, don't hesitate to mark it as a solution. Other users will easily find it then. Otherwise, can you please provide us with further details? Thanks in advance!

Olga Terentieva
SmartBear Assistant Community Manager

jdario
Occasional Contributor

Hello. Thanks for your reply. Apologies for such a late response. I'm ashamed to admit I don't understand your solution. I'm not a developer or technical person at all, but I really want to improve my testing. 

I'm assuming you are refering tho the line

def sha256 = {var.java.security.MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA-256").digest(attachment).toString()}

I tried a couple things with no luck.

// I tried this with no luck
def sha256 = { [->]
	       var.java.security.MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA-256").digest(attachment).toString()
		  sha256.call()
	}
//Doesnt work either
def sha256 = { sha256 ->
	       var.java.security.MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA-256").digest(attachment).toString()
		  sha256.call()
	}

I came back to this after the holidays and It's turned into a headache.

jdario
Occasional Contributor

Hi Olga, 

I'm just trying the suggested solution today. Unfortunatelly I've had no luck so far. I'm reading the groovy-lang.org documentation. I'll be sure to post a solution when I find it. 

Thanks!

jdario
Occasional Contributor

I figured it out. Let me first state what I wanted to do.

I wanted to get the SHA-256 value from the cached attachment in my SOAP Request and then place that value in the SOAP Request as a property. If the attachment changes it doesnt matter because the test will generate a new hash value from it. 

To do this:

1. I created a Groovy Script test step to go get the attachment, generate the SHA-256 value and return it.

import java.security.MessageDigest
import java.math.BigInteger

def attachment = testRunner.testCase.testSteps['SOAP_Request'].httpRequest.getAttachmentAt(0).data
	String sha256 = org.apache.commons.codec.digest.DigestUtils.sha256Hex(attachment);
	assert sha256
	return sha256

log.info(sha256)

2. I created a Property Transfer test step to move the "result" property value to a property I created at the Test Case level. 

3. I then reference the custom Test Case property in my SOAP Request by using ${#TestCase#sha256}       (where sha256 is the name I gave the custom proerty) in the corresponding XML element.

Olga_T
SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Well done, @jdario!
Thanks for sharing the solution!

Olga Terentieva
SmartBear Assistant Community Manager

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: